Sugar Sugar !

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Miriads
See the BBKA have released yet another rash dictum to confuse the sugar feeders over winter!

Some over complicated calculations in inexactitude and conversions into fluid ounces and ounces...what ever happened to drachms and pennyweights? ......even the author got knickers well and truly twisted!!

surely 60% or what used to bee called 2:1 mix (cos it was 2Lb white granulated to 1 Pint water).... but actually 61.5%...... would more easily bee calculated by going back to Rothamsted's formula in MKS measurements as

600g of sugar dissolved in 1000ml water ( 0.6 Kg in 1 Litre water)

Whatever happened to the Mole?

:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

See the BBKA have released yet another rash dictum to confuse the sugar feeders over winter!

Some over complicated calculations in inexactitude and conversions into fluid ounces and ounces...what ever happened to drachms and pennyweights? ......even the author got knickers well and truly twisted!!

surely 60% or what used to bee called 2:1 mix (cos it was 2Lb white granulated to 1 Pint water).... but actually 61.5%...... would more easily bee calculated by going back to Rothamsted's formula in MKS measurements as
CENTER]

Probably a new EU regulation .... cost tens of thousands euros of research fees in Brussels, at least two external consultant surveys followed by a management report, committee discussions, three trips to the USA and Canada to see what they do about it and then onto the statute books...after all this ... only the UK will take any notice !

(Cynical... me ? No .... never ... !) Where's Dusty ???

Probably a new EU regulation .... cost tens of thousands euros of research fees in Brussels, at least two external consultant surveys followed by a management report, committee discussions, three trips to the USA and Canada to see what they do about it and then onto the statute books...after all this ... only the UK will take any notice !

(Cynical... me ? No .... never ... !) Where's Dusty ???

CRIKEY... and there's me expecting Tractor man to come back with an improved calculation or DM to reciprocate on the thermal value of filling a Millar feeder with the correct spec to give tree hollow levels of insulation!:hairpull:

600g of sugar dissolved in 1000ml water ( 0.6 Kg in 1 Litre water)

Whatever happened to the Mole?

:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

'scuse me sir, but I'm not sure that's quite right.

For 2:1 strong syrup, I make it about 1600g of sugar into 1000ml or g of water ... not 600 ...

CRIKEY... and there's me expecting Tractor man to come back with an improved calculation or DM to reciprocate on the thermal value of filling a Millar feeder with the correct spec to give tree hollow levels of insulation!:hairpull:
Sorry to disappoint you!

For 2:1 strong syrup, I make it about 1600g of sugar into 1000ml or g of water ... not 600 ...

I tend to mix 2Kg sugar to 1Kg water (1 litre). Easy to mix, the girls take plenty and do not complain.

I presume your bees need to work your Autumn mixture more than mine?

Shirley.... 60% is what the Research chaps at Rothampstead gave as the mix that bees prefer!

IS / OF X 100

600 / 1000 x 100 = 60% ?

There are now 100,000 beeks out there totally confused !

I tend to mix 2Kg sugar to 1Kg water (1 litre). Easy to mix, the girls take plenty and do not complain.

I presume your bees need to work your Autumn mixture more than mine?

The problem with 'metric' 2:1 is that water will barely dissolve that much, and that results in the usual crop of posts about sugar crystallising in their feeders!

Last year, my bees did very well on the Ivy, and though I had some Ambrosia on offer, they didn't take much - excellent that it doesn't go off. I didn't actually feed any 2:1 (as such) last Autumn
However, like many this Spring, as Winter wore on, I covered the risk with fondant...

I suspect that this year I may feed some (imperial) 2:1 -- but thymolised -- as a way of getting some Thymol into them (some are going to get MAQS rather than Apiguard).

Shirley.... 60% is what the Research chaps at Rothampstead gave as the mix that bees prefer!

IS / OF X 100

600 / 1000 x 100 = 60% ?

There are now 100,000 beeks out there totally confused !

I think you will find that the "60%" refers to 60% of the weight of the solution being sugar and thus 40% being water.

1600g sugar + 1000g water makes 2600g total.
1600 of 2600 is 61%.

Take your imperial 2:1

Two pounds is 901g
One pint of water is 568g (and 568ml)
Total weight is 1469g
Sugar % of total is 901 of 1469 which is 61.5% ...

Its not "60% of the water quantity".
It is "60% of the total syrup weight" that needs to be sugar.

To a litre of water, add 1600 grams of sugar to get what the pre-metric guys called 2:1 since way back when.

Dear god ,it ain't rocket science !!
The bees won't demand accuracy . honestly!
VM

The bees won't demand accuracy . honestly!
VM

It ain't science.

But the difference between 600 and 1600 grams of sugar to a litre IS going to make a difference to the bees in Autumn - as I'd expect you to be telling me! :)

600g of sugar dissolved in 1000ml water ( 0.6 Kg in 1 Litre water)[/B][/I]

What about 2 kg sugar and 1 kg water = 3 kg

medium.jpg

VM

Don't be so sure. Note in video! Bees do not need salt. And not acid!!!

Russians go at same time to space when the British mix their sugar syrup. Or, is it American?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuzHXhka_BM"]2:1 Bee Syrup - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
"sugar, sugar"

that goes back a bit! by the same group who did the Eurovision skirt thing, sheryl somebody?

The Archies' "Sugar, Sugar" was the 1969 number-one single of the year.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JywK_5bT8z0"]Sugar Sugar - The Archies - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
My old friend's reaction to this thread would have been "wtf"
VM

Latest posts

Back