Sugar Prices

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK. Who brought all the sugar from Asda in Bromsgrove? I made a special journey and had to pay for the carpark! So I've already spent pounds before saving any on the sugar!
Does any one know how much the sugar is at Bookers at the mo....might need to head there, and I didn't know you could buy other things. I thought we'd only be allowed to buy sugar.

Does any one know how much the sugar is at Bookers at the mo....might need to head there, and I didn't know you could buy other things. I thought we'd only be allowed to buy sugar.

25Kg for £20.99 = 84p/Kg
or better their Euro Shopper marked 50p per bag at 10x500g for £3.49 = 70p/Kg

It is made by Ragus.........In the 1960s, the company had its own bee farms and this led, in 1963, to Ragus inventing Crystallised Bee Candy Feed.

http://www.ragus.co.uk/products/syrups/

Thank you, that sounds great, but... the linked page is extremely non-specific, and indicates that they can and do make absolutely all manner of syrups and inverts.
It actually says
An invert sugar is created by hydrolysing sugar (sucrose) to glucose (dextrose) and fructose. This is achieved by heating a sucrose solution, and applying either a solution of acid or enzymes. The syrup is neutralised when the desired level of inversion is reached.

I'd guess that it would be one of their "white invert sugar syrup products" that would be of interest. http://www.ragus.co.uk/products/syrups/white-invert-sugar-syrup.html

Is there a specific product identity that is known to be bee-friendly?

ADDED-- Bako's website indicates they only stock Golden Syrup, which I'd expect to be either heat-treated (to caramelise) or include raw/brown sugar -- neither of which, or so I'd gathered, is supposed to be good for bees.

Last edited:
I am going to stick to sucrose and let the bees add their own enzymes to invert the sucrose to glucose (dextrose) and fructose

Mixing up 10kg of 2:1 syrup is hard enough work !

Golden Syrup is partially inverted refiners syrup and is probably best kept for Cane toads... slugs love it!!!

Bako sell Ragus inverted syrup,best if you just phone them.

OK. Who brought all the sugar from Asda in Bromsgrove? I made a special journey and had to pay for the carpark! So I've already spent pounds before saving any on the sugar!

bookers is very expensive. I went in because it said 'price rollback' which seemed to exclude sugar.
this year was a bumper year for sugar so hopefully better prices can be had next year.

I approached a Disti who wanted £1000 per tonne for 25Kg sacks!

Tesco 5Kg bags are 15p per Kilo more expensive than 2Kg bags at the same store.

Asda is the cheapest I have found at 64p a Kg. (2Kg bags... again, avoid the 5Kg bags)

If I find no cheaper I will buy from Asda online and will qualify for free delivery (£100 order) :bigear: . Has anyone tried this and been refused??

anyone tried Lidl or Aldi?

also, does 2Kg sugar + 1 litre water = 3 litres? (or more or less!?!)

I am only a small fry compared to many beekeepers on this site. I am interested to know where the guys that has a huge amount of hives buys their sugar and for how much.

2kg of sugar and 1 litre of water makes 2.26 litres of sugar syrup

Latest posts

Back