Sugar Prices

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No friends that could maybe take delivery for you?

Yes,but we have a tescos only four miles away,huge place, but they don't do delivery from this place,deliverys have to come from another tesco's which is 30 miles away,but as i say they don't deliver in this area,so could have it delivered to a friend outside of this area,and then drive 20 miles to collect from them, instead of driving four miles to collect from local tescos,so not much point in that.

Cheers Russell

Done the deed and 84kg on its way Tuesday- paid the £1.29 price, but significantly better than bookers price of £23 for 25kg.

Thanks for the heads up.

Asda £1.20 / 2kg so started with them after opening an account with Bookers only to find the aforementioned higher prices!

Asda didn't entertain allowing broken bags out as "we use it in the canteen!"

HTH

Silver spoon is beet sugar (UK) not cane sugar (elsewhere, hot!) - I've read somewhere that beet sugar may not be a good choice for feeding bees. Any comments or experience?

Silver spoon is beet sugar (UK) not cane sugar (elsewhere, hot!) - I've read somewhere that beet sugar may not be a good choice for feeding bees. Any comments or experience?

It is all SUCROSE...............

beet sugar once was extracted utilising some not so pleasant substances, but now cane and beet are identical, except the carbon debt due to transporting cane sugar from far away places.................

Once you go over 84kgs there's a diminishing return because the total price has increased but the discount is a fixed value not a percentage off.
Get someone else to place an order per the instructions for max benefit.

Indeed. I used about 12kg last year for one hive, so with three, I thought I would treble up with an amount for contingencies.

This can also be done with Waitrose/Ocado but not quite as good a deal.

TCB Waitrose account sign up £7.50 cb. No guarantee but worth a shot. Please check with admin if he has a TCB account to get the £2.50 referral to help run this forum site.

Waitrose/Ocado £15 off 1st order over £75. Voucher code randomly allocated on sign up?

They price match Tesco @ £1.29 Tate & Lyle Fairtrade Granulated Sugar 2kg.

Need to order 59 bags/ 118 kgs @ about 45p/kg plus delivery charge, as they don't deliver to my area don't know their rates.

As for Tesco just amend retailer.
Or you could sign up to Waitrose/Ocado just for the £7.50 bonus to offset against your Tesco sugar purchase?

Russ

Last edited:
I just regsitered to try this, the price I see is £1.59 for 2kg!?

Are we saying the price has gone up 30% in a day or two?!!!!

I just regsitered to try this, the price I see is £1.59 for 2kg!?

Are we saying the price has gone up 30% in a day or two?!!!!

Yes, but it's still a cracking deal.

They may have cottoned on to an usually larger volume of sugar only orders.

Reduce order to 32 bags for 49p kg if the cb pays out too.

At the mo Waitrose is the better deal until they update inline with Tesco.

Russ

Yes, but it's still a cracking deal.

They may have cottoned on to an usually larger volume of sugar only orders.

Reduce order to 32 bags for 49p kg if the cb pays out too.

At the mo Waitrose is the better deal until they update inline with Tesco.

Russ

Yeah Im looking at waitrose at the moment - only problem there is the £15 off first order is only valid for when you spend £75

Yeah Im looking at waitrose at the moment - only problem there is the £15 off first order is only valid for when you spend £75

Can you split the order with another beek?
Is Tesco not an option for you?

There's a possibility of another £5 off if you sign up to mySupermarket.co.uk via topcash back, not sure how this works with 1st order disc, but it can get a bit long winded, still £5 in your pocket not theirs. They compare Tesco and Waitrose but as the 2kg sugar is different brands they don't show up.

Last edited:
I ordered from ocado. We ordered another couple of bits so ended up ordering 45 bags, so the overall cost, after first order discount and £7 cashback is about 41p/kg

We will try and sell off some of the extra sugar down the association, as there is no way we will need 90kg!

I ordered from ocado. We ordered another couple of bits so ended up ordering 45 bags, so the overall cost, after first order discount and £7 cashback is about 41p/kg

We will try and sell off some of the extra sugar down the association, as there is no way we will need 90kg!

Sorry, It is difficult to pass up a bargain ; beeks being beeks bargain price and all that, it shouldn't gather any dust.

If your new to cashback check out the site surprising what they'll give you money for looking at and if you've any insurances due well worth checking.

Russ

:eek:Too late!! I posted about Tesco's 2kg for £1.29 a couple of days ago... As others have noticed, today the same product has hiked up to £1.59. Quite a sharp rise. Still easily one of the best deals, though, if like me you only need a smallish amount.

Quick update.
There may be a way to get 105 kgs from Tesco @ best just over 28p p/kg.

Follow as before TCB to Tesco for £5, leave Tesco site and clear cookies.

Return to TCB and join mySupermarket co uk they will give another £5 off first shop.

Select Tesco, search for Tate & Lyle Fairtrade Granulated Sugar 15 x1kg for £7.50 down from £9.50. This doesn't show up if you go direct to Tesco.

Put 7 off in basket =£52.50 + 2.00 min del = 54.50 - 15/5/5 = 29.50 for 105kgs del'd if the cashbacks pay out.

Only the £10 off ecoupon is showing on mySM at moment.

Can't try until tomorrow as have to set up new account at mates.

Russ

Last edited:
Wow Russ, that's fab. If you need to do it from here too, your welcome to pop over.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.666967,-3.017371

It even looks as if the £1 type shops are now price matching supermarkets! They used to bee quite cheap for 2lb (1kg) at about 68p now they are the same/similar as Sainsbury's. :( Just checked Sainsbury's website and they are showing Silver Spoon at £1.02 a bag of 1kg......... disgusting! ASDA Silver Spoon 82p per kilo and £1.29 for 2kg. Big differences, don't make sense.

Latest posts

Back