sugar price.?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Farmfoods are 2 x 1kg for £1. Stocked up yesterday

Farmfoods are 2 x 1kg for £1. Stocked up yesterday

Our local Farmfoods branch in Suffolk was still 2 x 1Kg for £1 yesterday, and I asked them how much I could buy and they said I could have the whole lot if I wanted. There was a huge pallet of it all piled up.

I managed to limit myself to 50 bags, but with Farmfoods vouchers (just sign up online, get vouchers) the total price was £23 for 50Kg which works out at 46p/Kg, which is pretty good. It's all Whitworths brand.

Costco is still the cheapest but keep running out. £11 for 25kg.
Other companies will deliver for 49p per kilo but 1000kg minimum order.

If we leave the EU on WTO rules there will be a £350 per ton tariff added to imported sugar and sugar products.

If we leave the EU on WTO rules there will be a £350 per ton tariff added to imported sugar and sugar products.
So 35p per kg?

That will be popular..

Taking Covid19 out of the equation, has anyone else noticed the sometimes subtle yet slow steady increase in the prices of many foods along with a similar increase of non eu labelled and produced foodstuffs ?

Taking Covid19 out of the equation, has anyone else noticed the sometimes subtle yet slow steady increase in the prices of many foods along with a similar increase of non eu labelled and produced foodstuffs ?
Er indoors reports very noticeable price reductions in Morrisons supermarkets. My thinking out loud about less housekeeping didn't go down at all well 🤕

Been no change in the wholesale price of Belgosuc invert since March 2020, and the increase then wasn't much compared to 2019

Perhaps its to do with the area I live in then - its been significant (otherwise I wouldn't have noticed it) steady and subtle.

Important word highlighted.

Just be sure not to buy the imported stuff 👍
That leaves one company. British Sugar. I'm sure they won't increase the price to match the competition and make a bit more money.
We don't grow enough sugar beet to be self sustaining atm. That could change I guess.
Not sure about the tariffs on imported sugar cane and beet the rep didn't mention that in our conversation.

I started wondering about the cost of sugar+ my time+ gas vs getting Ambrosia or similar. I have 25 hives now and have already dilute 30kg of sugar in just over 2 weeks. Surely those of you with 30+ hives don't use the granulated sugar option?

I started wondering about the cost of sugar+ my time+ gas vs getting Ambrosia or similar. I have 25 hives now and have already dilute 30kg of sugar in just over 2 weeks. Surely those of you with 30+ hives don't use the granulated sugar option?

I've used a ton of sugar so far and got about half a ton left.
I can make upto 1000 ltrs of syrup at a time if necessary.

To buy 2000ltrs of ambrosia in IBC's would cost £2438 ( going off a price list I have to hand may not be the cheapest ) sugar is £490 per ton delivered costco is £440 per ton if they have it on stock but is 25 miles away.
Electricity to heat and mix about £15 My time about 2 hours.
To get the best price on ambrosia you need a minimum order of 8 tons. You also need somewhere to store it ideally 8 ibc's or a large tank.

roughly working it out, 1000ltrs of ambrosia is £1219 delivered in IBC.
1000ltrs of syrup is under £500 including electricity and time.

There are beefarmers with 1500 hives that make their own 2:1 sugar syrup, wirh that number the savings add up. I would think the tonnage they buy will give them a good discount.

More offers in the supermarkets. Prices falling. As long as you don't shop in Waitrose or Sainsbury's

I've used a ton of sugar so far and got about half a ton left.
I can make upto 1000 ltrs of syrup at a time if necessary.

To buy 2000ltrs of ambrosia in IBC's would cost £2438 ( going off a price list I have to hand may not be the cheapest ) sugar is £490 per ton delivered costco is £440 per ton if they have it on stock but is 25 miles away.
Electricity to heat and mix about £15 My time about 2 hours.
To get the best price on ambrosia you need a minimum order of 8 tons. You also need somewhere to store it ideally 8 ibc's or a large tank.

roughly working it out, 1000ltrs of ambrosia is £1219 delivered in IBC.
1000ltrs of syrup is under £500 including electricity and time.
I am a long way off needing a ton of sugar but need to look for an alternative to my weekly trip to lidl for 20kg of sugar!!

I am a long way off needing a ton of sugar but need to look for an alternative to my weekly trip to lidl for 20kg of sugar!!
I worked out that a lidl shopping trolley started to bend at around 70 kg of sugar. the staff liked scanning it as it was good for their numbers but the manager got the hump and stopped me buying 70 bags at a time. Miserable sod wouldn't get me a pallet in either.

Latest posts

Back