sugar price.?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

celad

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
despite looking online for a good price nothing attracted my attention,,, has anyone found a cheap source this year please.?

One of our members discovered that Farm foods the frozen food people works out cheap if you buy lots of bags of sugar and use their discount coupons they are always giving out. If you go to their webpage there is a sign up that gives instant access to the coupons. As far as I know though they only do the standard domestic 1 kg bags so could take a while if you need lots.

https://www.farmfoods.co.uk/

Farmfoods 50p per KG.

With discount voucher from website (£2 off £25 spend) I paid 46p per kg on 50kgs.

Nearly full pallet in stock in Stoke on Trent

Tesco @ £3.15 / 5 kg bag. Just had 10 bags delivered with the shopping.

Farmer's Weekly just ran a piece on how the government have allowed more imports of sugar, which will apparently benefit imports and Tate & Lyle in particular, but that British Sugar can't compete because EU farmers in some countries have been allowed to use nicotinoid treated seed but UK farmers can't, so the EU stuff is cheaper.

Personally I'd like to be able to afford the British Sugar because of it not being treated with neonics but if the shops aren't supplying it because of the cost then it could be the end of another British company

B&M stores for Tate and Lyle 1kg=59p

Farmer's Weekly just ran a piece on how the government have allowed more imports of sugar, which will apparently benefit imports and Tate & Lyle in particular, but that British Sugar can't compete because EU farmers in some countries have been allowed to use nicotinoid treated seed but UK farmers can't, so the EU stuff is cheaper.

Personally I'd like to be able to afford the British Sugar because of it not being treated with neonics but if the shops aren't supplying it because of the cost then it could be the end of another British company

After Brexit the Government will apparently no longer have to apply tariffs which presently apply on the importation of refined and unrefined sugar from outside the EU. Tate and Lyle have a monopoly on the importation and producton of cane sugar. All other British Sugar comes from sugar beet. Tate and Lyle will be the sole beneficiaries wit a significant reduction in costs. Do you think their sugar they sell for retail will get any cheaper? Do you think their employees will get and increase in pay? Do you think that more revenue will be paid to HM. Treasury?

How did I get politics mixed up with bees?.....doh!!!!!

After Brexit the Government will apparently no longer have to apply tariffs which presently apply on the importation of refined and unrefined sugar from outside the EU. Tate and Lyle have a monopoly on the importation and producton of cane sugar. All other British Sugar comes from sugar beet. Tate and Lyle will be the sole beneficiaries wit a significant reduction in costs. Do you think their sugar they sell for retail will get any cheaper? Do you think their employees will get and increase in pay? Do you think that more revenue will be paid to HM. Treasury?

How did I get politics mixed up with bees?.....doh!!!!!
And Tate and Lyle are not even a British Company any more

After Brexit the Government will apparently no longer have to apply tariffs which presently apply on the importation of refined and unrefined sugar from outside the EU.

That doesn't necessarily mean that no tarrifs will be applied or that British beet farmers will not be protected from unfair competition from EU imports.

That doesn't necessarily mean that no tarrifs will be applied or that British beet farmers will not be protected from unfair competition from EU imports.

I think the first would be OK but we should be encouraging more sugar production from British-grown crops rather than giving any advantage to the importation of the same product from distant countries. A rather detailed and opinionated piece on the subject can be found via the link:

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2020/08/sugar/

Latest posts

Back