Sugar Dusting. Yes or No?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you treat varroa mites with sugar dusting?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here’s 1 reasonable review showing it works to a degree but your looking at weekly applications for any sort of control. Quite frankly there are better methods and far less time consuming. Many of them classed as organic. Powdered Sugar Dusting - Sweet and Safe, but Does it Really Work? Part 3 - Scientific Beekeeping..
As for writing an article it’s old news realistically and not found much favour. So you can draw conclusions from that if you wish. Hope that helps. Ian

No I have not. Do you know what page that was?
Page 60 16205021327072514945106349315223.jpg1620502270451537341926778727992.jpg
A few years back on the forum I brought this up about bee tea I'll see if I can find it.
Apologies dani I see you have the recipe.

Last edited:
Welcome Ice509.

I am a hard core non treater. But I found icing sugar ineffective. It knocks a few phoretic mites off, but doesn't deal with the real problem, the ones breeding in the brood nest.

The "trick" seems to be to let the bees do their own thing, as thwy have been handling parasites for millions of years. So:
- Use local Irish bees, they're great
- Allow swarming (brood break)
- Avoid stimulative, ie essentially all, feeding, unless you are a migratory beekeeper

PM me if you want more info

Haven't seen that book, thanks for the pointer

Hello All,
I am a Beekeeper in Ireland. I started in 2019 and was able to get my first colony on June 1st.
Furthermore, I am interested in any natural way to treat my hives for all pests and diseases and have been treatment free since I started. I am embarking on a little experiment to use icing sugar dusting to treat varroa mites hopefully making a report for Bee craft and the FIBKA magazines.

I did the first dusting of the year today. Firstly I did a varroa shake test. H1 had a mite infestation of 3%
H2 had an infestation of 5%. I used a total of 5 cups of Icing sugar garlic. (ratio of 4 to 1) I will be dusting the 2 hives each week doing a mite count every couple of weeks to check the mite infestation levels as we proceed through the beekeeping year.
What form of garlic do you put in? Garlic salt, flakes, fresh somehow? And how much in the icing sugar?

I'm beginning to wonder if there should be a forum section headed fantasy land for some of the stuff being dragged up from old disproved ideas? 🤔🤔🤔
It depends how much time you have to play with your bees, I guess.
As long as you don't kill them, perhaps?
I thought the whole point of treatment free was to encourage those bees that cope with varroa rather than just tip some alternative therapy over them.

It depends how much time you have to play with your bees, I guess.
As long as you don't kill them, perhaps?
I thought the whole point of treatment free was to encourage those bees that cope with varroa rather than just tip some alternative therapy over them.
Just think of all the iced buns and cakes staying plain for lack of icing sugar to finish the cooks job🎂🎂🎂😁

Nobody mentions oxalic sublimation. Odd. Very.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back