Sugar Dusting. Yes or No?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you treat varroa mites with sugar dusting?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
You've found nothing yet - no reference to sugar dusting that I could see and yes, they are few and far between because that reference is just a wee bit obscure
What exactly would you like? I was looking more for grooming though.

Ice509, you crack on and have a play. Well done for staying the course for almost 90 posts and I’m glad as this is a pretty good (but harsh at times) forum and needs all sorts (y)
I’m not an icing sugar man........more of a MAQS man, formic acid so I’m guessing pretty natural :whistle:
Look forward to seeing your article and a few more posts on here no doubt.

Ice509, you crack on and have a play. Well done for staying the course for almost 90 posts and I’m glad as this is a pretty good (but harsh at times) forum and needs all sorts (y)
I’m not an icing sugar man........more of a MAQS man, formic acid so I’m guessing pretty natural :whistle:
Look forward to seeing your article and a few more posts on here no doubt.
Thanks, @WoodenBeam. Appreciate it.

It's affect if it gets in on the open brood may negate any varroa knockdown as it may well do more damage then varroa. Icing sugar has caking agents so not only dries out larvae but may be more detrimental to the unsealed stage.

It has one role in my apiaries and that is purely for sugar rolling a sample of bees, so a this year have only inspected twice and carried out 4 rolls. Thus far it is showing mite detection as very low at only one mite from all rolls.

I am so with you there!

I am beginning to see why many people feel harassed on these online forums. :(

It's a public forum ... and frankly, this one is about the most moderate (not moderated) that I have come across on the internet. If ideas are posted that are not substantiated with either robust personal experience or peer reviewed facts then you can be expect to be challenged and asked to provide the evidence.

I would agree that some members are more forthright than others but isn't that just life ? In debate there has to be some degree of opinion and passion - the old expression that 'if you can't stand the heat don't stand in the fire' comes to mind - but, we discourage personal comments and the moderators have always ensured that posts kick the ball and not the player on here.

I'd hate for anyone to feel harrassed and fearful to post on this forum but it's a bit like a night down the pub - there are going to be those people you follow, appreciate and respect for their opinions and there are those who grate on you and you'd rather not see or listen to. I tend to just move on these days - respond where appropriate but not take posts that question what I do as a personal slight.

You always have the ultimate sanction of hitting the ignore button which then hides a member's posts and mostly you won't see what they have to say. I know some members use this function but, for me, it usually leads to a very disjointed looking thread so I just move on.

Last edited:
We've had several new members join our association and instantly want to not treat their bees, most suffer losses and probably raise the varroa levels in the area.
I would suggest getting a few more years under your belt keeping bees before starting experiments.
Learn to walk before you run..
I agree. I’ve had bees for several years now, but those who’ve had them 40+ don’t like some of my experiments. Like, making cylinders from coloured wax, putting them on the crownboard and watching to see what they do. The answer? A couple of lovely drawn vases, highly coloured in the middle, to lightly coloured on the outside. No honey, I removed them before they put honey in the cells. ‘‘Twas frowned upon, I shouldn’t play with them! Not sure where they are now.

Isn’t some research beginning to show something about colonies that are good at grooming correlate with healthier, less mite infested bees? So would icing sugar not encourage that trait? Just asking, don’t bite my head off please!
I’ve got others in the County trying out what I do. It works for me and my bees. I haven’t lost any to varroa, or varroa related conditions in 15 years, so it can’t be all bad. I gave up using Apiguard as it didn’t work, but that might have been I also didn’t use it at warm enough temperatures, although people say it just takes longer when it’s cooler. I have also used Apilife strips, I think it was, and didn’t like them, but on experimentation found icing sugar works far better for me, my bees, and my conditions. I just ignore those who don’t like it!

I am beginning to see why many people feel harassed on these online forums. :(

If you are used to being able to post anything and make claims.. and expect no challenges
I’ve got others in the County trying out what I do. It works for me and my bees. I haven’t lost any to varroa, or varroa related conditions in 15 years, so it can’t be all bad. I gave up using Apiguard as it didn’t work, but that might have been I also didn’t use it at warm enough temperatures, although people say it just takes longer when it’s cooler. I have also used Apilife strips, I think it was, and didn’t like them, but on experimentation found icing sugar works far better for me, my bees, and my conditions. I just ignore those who don’t like it!

I would be interested to know what your winter losses are?

If you are used to being able to post anything and make claims.. and expect no challenges

I would be interested to know what your winter losses are?
None. I haven’t lost any of my colonies over winter since 2010 when I moved to this Apiary. I have no idea why, except they are very well fed, in an extremely nice spot with no damp, plenty of sun, and quite sheltered, and are obviously healthy. I say obviously, because they haven’t died! Before that, I did lose a couple of colonies, separately, which were in the garden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back