Sublimox Pipe Insulation?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Does anyone have any recommendations for best tape to possibly place around the insertion pipe of the Sublimox. Have melted a lovely groove into the narrow entrance of my poly Swienty hives so had an idea something wrapped around the pipe may help. Stove tape looks too thick....

Make a hood to fit over the top box and vape downwards... that is what we do with out wonderful BeeHiveSupplies polly hives... no problem!

Chons da

I don't know if this will help or not, but this guy uses "muffler tape".

Another idea, would be to put some clay around the pipe, then it would get baked on with use. Would probably still get hot with repeated use, but might work for 1 or 2 in a row.

Or you get a bit of copper pipe, place it in the entrance, then vape down the pipe.

I have never used a Sublimox, so don't know if my suggestions will be of use. But I thought I would throw them out there.

Vape under the OMF?
I have given up vaping from the bottom.
All hives have an eke put on at the start of treatment and I vape from the top. Much better than from the bottom and you don't have to close the entrance so you can do it any time

I don't know if this will help or not, but this guy uses "muffler tape".

Another idea, would be to put some clay around the pipe, then it would get baked on with use. Would probably still get hot with repeated use, but might work for 1 or 2 in a row.

Or you get a bit of copper pipe, place it in the entrance, then vape down the pipe.

I have never used a Sublimox, so don't know if my suggestions will be of use. But I thought I would throw them out there.

Thanks. I like the pipe idea. I suppose just extends the Sublimox reach which I think is rather short to start with.

Have melted a lovely groove into the narrow entrance of my poly
You're probably thinking that heat resistant silicone pipe might do the job, and it sort of does, but when I tried it as a pipe extension the temp drop was too severe and it clogged. Worth a try as a sleeve (can't recall if I tried that).

You're probably thinking that heat resistant silicone pipe might do the job, and it sort of does, but when I tried it as a pipe extension the temp drop was too severe and it clogged. Worth a try as a sleeve (can't recall if I tried that).

I vape from below the mesh with a pan. And I can see how the OA builds up on the mesh. I expect the colder/longer the pipe the more it will build up and clog. This is probably the reason they make them with such short pipes to begin with.

So if you try an inset pipe, probably best to keep it as sort as possible and keep a pipe cleaner to hand.

I would attach a wire handle, so I could use the Sublimox with one hand and hold the insert pipe with the other. I am sure you could get at lest 1 vape through before clogging, so a quick clean and it should be good to go again.

The silicone pipe sleeve as ericbeaumont suggested would be the best option if it works, so I would try that first.

However, I would also consider vaping from below the mesh or from above as others have suggested.

Whatever you try, please remember to report back on if it works or not.

Thanks all for the great suggestions. Have ordered some silicone tube from Mr Bezos as first attempt. Will report back on result.

Vape under the OMF?
I have given up vaping from the bottom.
All hives have an eke put on at the start of treatment and I vape from the top. Much better than from the bottom and you don't have to close the entrance so you can do it any time
We remove the crownboard, and replace after 2 minutes have elapsed from the time the OA has finished ... with 3 vaping covers and a 220/ 240 V generator surprising how quickly you can get around an apiary!

Chons da

We remove the crownboard, and replace after 2 minutes have elapsed from the time the OA has finished ... with 3 vaping covers and a 220/ 240 V generator surprising how quickly you can get around an apiary!

Chons da
I just leave mine in place for the two weeks it takes. I have only a few hives anyway.

Four
Ok 16 days not 14 😃
That many... I would be vaping into the New Year!

Roof off..English feeders off... crown board off... vaping hood on... 2 minutes 2g OA from sublimox... 2 minutes to settle... vaping hood off... crown board back on.... 2kg fondant in container over feed hole with lid placed to give a small slope.... Roof back on.... wish them well till Ground Hog Day!

Seems to keep varroa level very low, no drone lavae at this end of the beekeeping year.... so mites few have anywhere to hide!

Downside is time opening the fiddly little packets of Apipoxall with big thick leater beekeeping gauntlets on!

Chons da

That many... I would be vaping into the New Year!

Roof off..English feeders off... crown board off... vaping hood on... 2 minutes 2g OA from sublimox... 2 minutes to settle... vaping hood off... crown board back on.... 2kg fondant in container over feed hole with lid placed to give a small slope.... Roof back on.... wish them well till Ground Hog Day!

Seems to keep varroa level very low, no drone lavae at this end of the beekeeping year.... so mites few have anywhere to hide!

Downside is time opening the fiddly little packets of Apipoxall with big thick leater beekeeping gauntlets on!

Chons da

What is a vaping hood?

What is a vaping hood?
Tis a hood that fits atop the brood box, with a clear cover and a hole in the side to stick the vaposised OA delivery system into.... Somewhere in the BKF archives Hivemaker put some pics/drawings

Tis a hood that fits atop the brood box, with a clear cover and a hole in the side to stick the vaposised OA delivery system into.... Somewhere in the BKF archives Hivemaker put some pics/drawings

Sounds interesting. Is it a shallow eke with a polycarbonate top and a hole in one side of the eke? Maybe I could make one - I'm running short of occupational therapy. Just finished a hive stand.

Attachments

• IMG_0502.JPG
    IMG_0502.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 10
Sounds interesting. Is it a shallow eke with a polycarbonate top and a hole in one side of the eke? Maybe I could make one - I'm running short of occupational therapy. Just finished a hive stand.
Nice stand BTW!
Yes basically a 2 inch eke, I have added a flange to ( loosely) fit over the brood box so that it does not move, and a hook to hold the Sublimox in place.
Friend borrowed it yesterday and "Oxed" 5 colonies in 20 minutes, using a lethal looking home made copy of the propane powered beast.... ( borrowed a gas mask) was going to vape in through the entrance, but said the vaping hood was far more effective... and reduced his fear of cooking the queen!

Yeghes da

Friend borrowed it yesterday and "Oxed" 5 colonies in 20 minutes
Goodness, I can vape a half dozen colonies from under the OMF using a brace of Varroxes in less time than that
And that's with faffing around topping up the feeders

As promised update. Used heatproof silicone pipe over copper pipe first of all extending the pipe into hive which immediately blocked and could not find any pipe cleaners. Cut to just fit the pipe end and worked well without further damage to the hives. Thanks ericbeaumont for suggestion.Sublimox.jpg

As promised update. Used heatproof silicone pipe over copper pipe first of all extending the pipe into hive which immediately blocked and could not find any pipe cleaners. Cut to just fit the pipe end and worked well without further damage to the hives. Thanks ericbeaumont for suggestion.View attachment 22700
Hi, can you remember what size pipe you got please? 6mm or 7mm inner diameter. Thanks

Latest posts

Back