Sublimox best vaporiser?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The retailer may just remind you that it’s a Brulie torch and not a blow lamp .
It's the torch that John sells with the Gasvap package .... it looks very much to me as though the torch has been been used too hot ... the Rekrow has some excellent feedback when used wih the Gasvap (I have a couple of much smaller torches that both work) but it's a much more powerful torch than the Gasvap really needs to create the sublimate ...

Most people (with any of the torches), find that a burst of heat to start with followed by it being turned down to almost a mininal flame does the job.

It's the torch that John sells with the Gasvap package .... it looks very much to me as though the torch has been been used too hot ... the Rekrow has some excellent feedback when used wih the Gasvap (I have a couple of much smaller torches that both work) but it's a much more powerful torch than the Gasvap really needs to create the sublimate ...

Most people (with any of the torches), find that a burst of heat to start with followed by it being turned down to almost a mininal flame does the job.
Yes it looks like the upgraded one which is more stable and controllable than the mark one ! i still manage very well will the Mk one .
it maybe worth exploring the availability of a templstik around the optimum temperature for sublimation.
what do you think? .
the welders where I worked used to use these when brazing temp sensitive materials!

Yes it looks like the upgraded one which is more stable and controllable than the mark one ! i still manage very well will the Mk one .
it maybe worth exploring the availability of a templstik around the optimum temperature for sublimation.
what do you think? .
the welders where I worked used to use these when brazing temp sensitive materials!
Yes ... it's very much a matter of trial and error ... it took me a while to find just the optimum amount of heat but you are right ... a Tempilstick would give you some confidence that the temperature was about right for sublimation:

We know that sublimation of OA starts at around 150 degrees C (not that hot actually !) and if you could establish what this was like in terms of the look of the copper pan with the aid of the Tempilstick it would take some of the guesswork out of it.

I have seen people heating the Gasvap until the copper almost glows red and it really does not need anywhere near this level of heating to get the OA to sublimate ...

https://www.1stopweldingshop.com/Catalogue/Welding-Supplies/Arc-Welding-Accessories/Temple-Sticks

Last edited:
Yes ... it's very much a matter of trial and error ... it took me a while to find just the optimum amount of heat but you are right ... a Tempilstick would give you some confidence that the temperature was about right for sublimation:

We know that sublimation of OA starts at around 150 degrees C (not that hot actually !) and if you could establish what this was like in terms of the look of the copper pan with the aid of the Tempilstick it would take some of the guesswork out of it.

I have seen people heating the Gasvap until the copper almost glows red and it really does not need anywhere near this level of heating to get the OA to sublimate ...

https://www.1stopweldingshop.com/Catalogue/Welding-Supplies/Arc-Welding-Accessories/Temple-Sticks

Utterly pointless heating up to near glowing temperature but hey ho.👿

Used my Sublimox to do the 1st of 3 vapes on 17 hives. (I did one vape before Xmas but I Covid intervened so I've had to start again!) I'm not sure if it was the cold weather but the nozzle of the sublimox kept getting blocked with crystals. I didn't have a nice stiff piece of thin wire but I did find a bucket of water, so I poured a little water into the pan, put on the lid and held it in place to create pressure. Within seconds the Sublimox was spewing steam out and cleaning the nozzle. Job done!!!!

I'm not sure if it was the cold weather but the nozzle of the sublimox kept getting blocked with crystals.
It happens - was discussing it with Damian at Abelo during the snowstorm tradex a few years ago. He carried a small blowtorch around during the winter vapes to clear the nozzle if it got blocked.

It happens - was discussing it with Damian at Abelo during the snowstorm tradex a few years ago. He carried a small blowtorch around during the winter vapes to clear the nozzle if it got blocked.
I routinely put a couple of ccs of water in the pan and put the lid on, between 'vapes' to keep the nozzle clear.

When doing a few the nozzle on mine gets hot enough to melt poly(oops!), sometimes a deposit of Oxalic will form on the end but nothing a quick rub wouldn't unblock.
I wonder what the difference is?

Latest posts

Back