Sublimox best vaporiser?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxylad

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
I am currently using a gas vap to sublimate OA. The trigger has melted and sticks when lighting. I dislike the lack of control over the temperature, find it difficult to regulate. I currently have 17 hives but will increase to 25 next year. Vehicle access is not an issue to any apiary. Looking to upgrade next year. Is the Sublimox the best currently on the market?

I am currently using a gas vap to sublimate OA. The trigger has melted and sticks when lighting. I dislike the lack of control over the temperature, find it difficult to regulate. I currently have 17 hives but will increase to 25 next year. Vehicle access is not an issue to any apiary. Looking to upgrade next year. Is the Sublimox the best currently on the market?
yes

Which torch are you using with it ?

It is significantly quicker than using the gasvap with a large quantity of hives. I have both, in fact I have a pan type as well. 😀

If the normal heat of its operation melts its trigger, that looks like bad design or bad construction. Write to its suppliers complaining and pointing out the law about quality of goods offered for sale.

There's no trigger on my gas vap. It's purely an assembly of copper plumbing fittings which attach to a cooks blowlamp. I can only assume you mean the trigger on the blowlamp and try as I might I cannot visualise how you have managed to cause the trigger on the blowlamp to melt. If the blowlamp has been blowing back or leaking flame out of joints at the rear of the flame tube it should have been attended to long before damage occurred or the plastic parts became distorted and butane seals ruptured 🤔. I turn the flame up or down to adjust temperature and haven't experienced any problems of control.

If the normal heat of its operation melts its trigger, that looks like bad design or bad construction. Write to its suppliers complaining and pointing out the law about quality of goods offered for sale.
In fairness to the blowtorch manufacturers I doubt when they designed their torch they ever envisioned it being jury rigged up to some Heath Robinson sublimation apparatus

In fairness to the blowtorch manufacturers I doubt when they designed their torch they ever envisioned it being jury rigged up to some Heath Robinson sublimation apparatus
Actually... it works well once you have got the heat levels adjusted properly and it's not Heath Robinson - despite my initial reservations its not a bad bit of kit...

It is significantly quicker than using the gasvap with a large quantity of hives. I have both, in fact I have a pan type as well. 😀
Yes ... but 10 times the price ... difficult to justify the cost unless you have a good few colonies or an unlimited budget...

Yes, beyond most budgets I'd imagine.
Gas Vap works really well but the drawback is finding a reliable torch and in fairness, they are not designed to operate with the nozzle enclosed in a metal structure. I found that the torch soon becomes unreliable, blowing out and not wanting to relight. Maybe two torches or more so you can switch them? Still cheaper.

If it is windy I use wand varrox type, with Gasvap the trigger should be is out of the main heat flow. Like others I reduce the heat flow once up to temp.

Foxylad.
If you decide that the Sublimox is the way you want go then consider the Oxalika alternative Professional oxalic acid vaporizers - Most used in Italy - Oxalika

It works on the same basic concept but would seem to offer a number of features which would be appealing;

1. It has a 12v option which would eliminate the need for the inverter.
2. It comes with an insulated bowl which should consume less power and be less sensitive to lower ambient temperatures, a source of malfunction with the Sublimox.

I can't give a review of this machine yet but my intention is to get one in the near future...It looks impressive although the outlet nozzle position may necessitate a slight change in procedure.
Maybe somebody on here has used one and can give a more hands-on opinion.

I have a lot more hives to treat than you so it's viability would be easily justified.
I would imagine 1 or 2 of the pan type subliminators would be adequate for your needs, unless you're the type who likes gadgets.

I purchased it in the summer, so might send the suppler an email.

Attachments

• 8BC0F16E-68A5-48FF-8D0B-CCA1409354B4.jpeg
    8BC0F16E-68A5-48FF-8D0B-CCA1409354B4.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
  • 96A0361D-5157-4E5E-B5A6-A6D03818EF8F.jpeg
    96A0361D-5157-4E5E-B5A6-A6D03818EF8F.jpeg
    877.2 KB · Views: 21
Back