Sublimation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteinwilts

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Lots and lots
Hi Guys

I am sure these questions have been answered, but cannot see a sticky, and all I have with me is a smartphone and a very slow internet connection. Patience appreciated!

Due to the poor weather conditions, I think I am going to be moving from thymol and forced kicking and screaming down the sublimation route.

I am going to have to get over the technical difficulties of power sources and crossing waterlogged fields and power sources (I do not like churning up other peoples fields)

Big T's sell two types. Do you really get what you pay for? Recommendations would be good and they have a lot to do.

How many amps do they take? As I cannot drive up to many of the hives, I need to think portable so depending on the power requirements, may buy smaller more portable batteries.

Does the sublimation/oxalic melt poly (not the heat). I have always been wary when trickling.

Presume sublimation is done later in the year to avoid destroying the valuable brood for the winter bees.

Thanks in advance
Pete

Thorne's cheaper option is less robust than the more expensive one. I'm sure it will do a few hives. I use a car jump starter for up to six hives, each for 3.5 minutes. It won't do any more. It's 1800 mAh.
If I'm doing more I have a leisure battery
It doesn't melt poly
It doesn't harm brood

I use a 12v car battery mounted on a former shopping trolley (you know those things with bags on that old people drag around doing their shopping). I replaced the four small wheels with bigger chunkier ones (I had some laying around and the axle size was the same !). Battery sits on a plywood platform and well strapped on. I've only ever done 5 hives at one time max and the drop in the battery was negligible.

I have a home made one, access to a Varrox and I know someone who uses the Thornes cheapy £35 job ... all seem to work although the Varrox always looks better made.

I vape from under the mesh floor of polys so you might have to construct a tray of somesort to go in the usual inspection tray slot and give a bit of space beneath the mesh. Never had a problem with melting anything - don't get the hot pan near anything poly because they do get hot.

Vaping does not kill brood - it's done when there is less capped brood in the hive as then you get a better knock down of the mites as they are phoretic not hiding in capped cells - if there's capped brood in there you may have to do more than one vape cycle. Usual recommendation is 3 times at 5 day intervals.

Hi.. I've just done my 3rd oxalic treatment with the varrox at 6/7 day intervals, I use a Guluman portable jump starter with the varrox and its good for about 8 hives between charges, I'm the same as you 300 yard walk to the hives through a muddy field.

Thanks guys

I have 14 apjarys, so may pop a fixing on the truck for hives that I can drive to, and a leasure battery or two and a trolly for those that I cannot drive to. The slightly higher voltage on tje truck may allow me to create a short extension which may help.

Was thinking about making a pair of trays for nucs. I presume the inspection board needs to be left in?

I am sure I can manufacture a method of holding it in place whilst I perform other duties.

Time to go shopping! :)

Thanks guys

I have 14 apjarys, so may pop a fixing on the truck for hives that I can drive to, and a leasure battery or two and a trolly for those that I cannot drive to. The slightly higher voltage on tje truck may allow me to create a short extension which may help.

Was thinking about making a pair of trays for nucs. I presume the inspection board needs to be left in?

I am sure I can manufacture a method of holding it in place whilst I perform other duties.

Time to go shopping! :)
With that many hives you need a Sublimox and a generator. ;)

Can I hijack this thread please...... Thanks....
I am new to this sublimation thing.... If I have a super of honey on top of the brood box for winter and use a vapouriser will I be able to use the honey from the super the following spring if they don't eat it all.
Cheers
E

eBay item number:

Varomor totally transportable and the sugar in the Apibipoxall does not clog the jets
Also a recipe for a thymol/ OA mix... but requites absolute ethanol as a carrier!

Not a lot more than a Thrones Varrox a deepcycle battery + trolley + deepcycle battery ( ? Oxford) charger.....

Rutted field friendly

Yeghes da

eBay item number:

Varomor totally transportable and the sugar in the Apibipoxall does not clog the jets
Also a recipe for a thymol/ OA mix... but requites absolute ethanol as a carrier!

Not a lot more than a Thrones Varrox a deepcycle battery + trolley + deepcycle battery ( ? Oxford) charger.....

Rutted field friendly

Yeghes da

This is interesting. I am suprised it is not available in the uk?
Will buy one and give it a try.

Can I hijack this thread please...... Thanks....
I am new to this sublimation thing.... If I have a super of honey on top of the brood box for winter and use a vapouriser will I be able to use the honey from the super the following spring if they don't eat it all.
Cheers
E

Yes,yes,yes......... I'm sure I read one of Finman's posts to say there is more oxalic in a carrot than in a sublimated super.

If I have a super of honey on top of the brood box for winter and use a vapouriser will I be able to use the honey from the super the following spring if they don't eat it all.

Err absolutely not. It will be totally contaminated. The only decent thing you could do is send it to me for decontamination. Fedex next day delivery. PM for address. If really bad I will destroy at my own cost. :D
Question Enrico, why don't you take it off now, extract and enjoy. Feed to replace?

Although the forum did slate it last december.

Any users on here?

If you can see this video clip this is what you want and it is what i will be getting for next season, it is a sublimox which will work out more expensive than the normal pan vaporizers but imo it is worth the money in the end because it will cut the vaping time by over half, so you can waste your life doing something else with the time you have saved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT_hh47U__8

I have and would again and i have had no complaints from people who i gave the honey to.

The ones that are still alive anyway *joke*

I have done it myself, I'm convinced from the calculations that any residual OA in the honey is going to be negligible.

I'm in a similar position to the OP. Does anyone have a design/plan/detailed description for the manufacture of a suitable tray, in place of the inspection tray, that will seat the vaporizer under the OMF? [Maisie's poly 14x12s here.] Thanks.

Latest posts

Back