Stupid Question (probably)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ouarda

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hiya Guys :redface:

I was about to check out my hive today when the heavens opened so thought to myself check the girls tomorrow. bee-smillie

just checked forecast and it's wet for the next 4 days :cuss:

it's going to be 11 days between inspections if its wet for the next 4 days is that ok?????

Hiya Guys :redface:

I was about to check out my hive today when the heavens opened so thought to myself check the girls tomorrow. bee-smillie

just checked forecast and it's wet for the next 4 days :cuss:

it's going to be 11 days between inspections if its wet for the next 4 days is that ok?????

in such bad weather i have checked just the brood frames for QC under a golf umbrella...they one time i did not this spring, one of mine swarmed

but, what stage are they at...drawing supers, on 9 frames?

need a bit more to give advice

I have 9 frames in the brood box at this time I added 2 the last time I checked them out so they would have frames to draw. my swarm was not huge when it moved in and there were grubs the last time I checked but no new bees yet.

I have 9 frames in the brood box at this time I added 2 the last time I checked them out so they would have frames to draw. my swarm was not huge when it moved in and there were grubs the last time I checked but no new bees yet.

you could try just adding an extra super..give them something to do in the rain, other than make QC...they honey in the brood box would be removed to make wax..therefore more space, less likely to swarm...

I have 9 frames in the brood box at this time

If they were drawing steadily (notes of previous inspections), simply add some more frames. No need to open the hive other than removing the roof and sliding the crownboard back a little. Job done.

The 7 day inspection regime is only for swarm prevention. Your bees are unlikely to swarm while the box is not full. In future plese give a little more info - like: Origin of bees (prime swarm or cast)? How long in the box? Size at start? This year's queen? Stores in frames? Clipped queen? Makes giving advice somewhat more reliable than just offering a guess.

RAB

hiya Oliver can't give much of the above info have no idea where they came from just know it was not a huge swarm haven't located queen yet so no idea how old just know shes layng as I have found grubs they moved in about a month ago. I really hadn't planned to get bees this year but they decided otherwise and as I trust nature knows best I will mind them and do my best for them :D

Thanks for the advice much appreciated

I have 9 frames in the brood box at this time I added 2 the last time I checked them out so they would have frames to draw. my swarm was not huge when it moved in and there were grubs the last time I checked but no new bees yet

How many frames of larvae? The only real risk is that if you have (say) 7 frames of larvae that are now capped and emerge in the next few days, the hive will get full very quickly - and full hives tend to be swarmy hives. If you have 2 or 3 frames of eggs and larvae at last inspection, I wouldn't worry.

Add the extra frames in the brood box when there is a break in the weather, and add a super if you think that they are getting full of stores. A new swarm is unlikely to swarm again if they have enough space. "unlikely"....not "certain".

swarm...

That is one item that is helpful.

not a huge

That is not too prescriptive!

Now, when did she start laying? It seems that she may have been a virgin in a cast? Only you will know that, but if she was they are unlikely to be swarming again until larvae start hatching as there will be no further new bees for some time.

If it was a decent sized prime swarm, they may have run out of space by now, but we can discount that - I think.

Any capped brood the last time you looked? You see, there is a wealth of useful information available to be squeezed out of you. Don't be so tight with it!

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back