stung again grrrrrr

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slider955i

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
a month ago i was stung in th eye by a bee after i had probably been a little too rough with them so i excepted that .

my wife has been tending the bees since and she has been clearing the supers this week so that we can treat the bees and get ready for winter.

she took the one super off the other day no prob, went down yesterday and put the clearer board under the remaining super and left . she did say she had one angry bee folow her to the house and it made a bit of a pest of it self.

couple of hours late i clean my car and a bee attacks my head , then goes away ,carry on cleaning then all of a sudden i heard him and before i knew it he had stung me on my brow.

why has he picked on me has i had not been to the hive so should not have any odour on me , or am i just unlucky ?

Damn unlucky m8, remember when i was a kid going to school ,made me wonder whether i should wear my dads hat on the way out of the house lol.

She stung you, drones cannot.

Quite normal behaviour and another example of why bees in gardens are not the greatest place to keep them. What if it had been the neighbour?

PH

Try your wife's perfume for a week, see what happens.

If bees following to such an extent - requeen next Spring.:smash: That is rude behaviour and must be changed.

I have 7 colonies in my garden and none do this. My neighbours are mostly unaware that I keep bees- except for the honey for sale sign! Oh- and one who has had a swarm arrive there. She was fascinated, asked lots of questions- and enjoyed the honey I gave her:hurray:

I NEVER wear perfume when near bees. And my son was stung once when fresh from a shower, aftershaved and went in to the garden-
Keep it natural!

Last edited:
Just to throw a spanner in the works . . . . . was it definately your bee?? My girls are good as gold but have had a couple of stings this year, the odd one will follow me occasionally but I dont find this threatening, more a case of them making sure where I am off too! I have 4 hive currently in my garden and they have caused no problem this year.

She stung you, drones cannot.

Quite normal behaviour and another example of why bees in gardens are not the greatest place to keep them. What if it had been the neighbour?

PH
I was just going to post "congratulations on having a drone sting you " ,then saw your post :D

John Wilkinson

i do know about drones but was writing quickly due to being at work,
thanks for your replys , maybe i am just unlucky :chillpill:

in my anger i told the wife they have got to go but she put me right ha ha ha
they are going no where

perhaps i will cheer up when we extract our honey for the 1st time :hurray:

I have a theory that they don't like the smell of men!! My husband is always getting chases, whereas they don't bother me when I walk near the hive - there is definitely an attraction to perspiration - so if you are doing some hard graft that could be what attracts them! Thats my theory anyway - anyone else got any?

I did read somewhere earlier this year (although wasn't able to source the research) that bees can recognise faces. Maybe you are on the bees' equivalent of the Crimewatch Most Wanted posters. bee-smillie.

I have a theory that they don't like the smell of men!! My husband is always getting chases, whereas they don't bother me when I walk near the hive - there is definitely an attraction to perspiration - so if you are doing some hard graft that could be what attracts them! Thats my theory anyway - anyone else got any?

Some Rightguard for Christmas I think.

CO2 is the attractant rather than perspiration :D
Over excitement causes panting (lot's of co2 there)
Now we need to know the cause of the panting :reddevil:

John Wilkinson

Well there is one 'Naked beek' on this site so........ oops! sorry I should know better at my age!

In a very old book with a section on beekeeping it said put some vinegar on your forehead...

What if it had been the neighbour?
Some of us would probably be quite pleased.....

What do you mean stung in the eye? Getting stung in the eye is really really bad and can cause blindness. Or was it near the eye which is pretty painfull?

Latest posts

Back