stroppy bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldwgs

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I heard a beekeeper saw they thought 1 of 4 hives, the 1st one, was stroppy as the hives were too close and they thought there were too many bees in the location. They are spaced at 1m in a good sized chalk wildflower meadow. the queen is 3yrs and the colony was a swarm from one of the hives 3 years back. do you think this is possible, I don't think so.

I heard a beekeeper saw they thought 1 of 4 hives, the 1st one, was stroppy as the hives were too close and they thought there were too many bees in the location. They are spaced at 1m in a good sized chalk wildflower meadow. the queen is 3yrs and the colony was a swarm from one of the hives 3 years back. do you think this is possible, I don't think so.
Nothing to do with spacing unless there is robbing going on. Change the queen in the stroppy hive

Rubbish as above change the queen. Ian

I heard a beekeeper saw they thought 1 of 4 hives, the 1st one, was stroppy as the hives were too close and they thought there were too many bees in the location.
Sounds like your 'beekeeper' is an expert at talking utter rubbish

What are there stores like, laying space, what was the weather like I'm doing 7/9 day inspections and I had a few a bit tutchy yesterday one was lowish on stores, the weather was windy, showers.
If they are like this all the time then requeen but if its a one off or so i would tick of a few things first.
Spacing has nothing to do with aggression.
Can I also say keep your suite and gloves clean. Tick!!

Nothing to do with spacing unless there is robbing going on. Change the queen in the stroppy hive
no robbing they just get excited on inspection, the others don't, they also follow you around a bit when finished inspection

no robbing they just get excited on inspection, the others don't, they also follow you around a bit when finished inspection
yep I suggested th change the quuen

What are there stores like, laying space, what was the weather like I'm doing 7/9 day inspections and I had a few a bit tutchy yesterday one was lowish on stores, the weather was windy, showers.
If they are like this all the time then requeen but if its a one off or so i would tick of a few things first.
Spacing has nothing to do with aggression.
Can I also say keep your suite and gloves clean. Tick!!
she is very up on hygiene SE!% London weather is lovely but not enough rain. Thank everyone for replies

Don't dismiss things like location, it could very well be that space on the stand. You hear stories of a particular stand always has moody bees, even when a known, gentle colony is moved there. I have a stand under an Oak and the colony on the one end always play up. Moved a lovely colony there in September and they are now runny and pinging, while two feet away and straight after inspecting them, the next is a breeze with no smoke required.
Sometimes moving a hive achieves positive results, hope you manage to sort it out.

no she does not call herself an expert and is a lovely person
We've had many beginners over the years with questions which contained the phrase "I've been told by an 'experienced' beekeeper to do XYZ" usually the advice proffered demonstrates the difference between experienced and competent. I rest my case.

Last year one of my colonies gradually turned stroppy for no reason I could fathom. They were not queenless, there was plenty of forage around, neighbouring colonies were their usual fairly friendly selves, but it had got to the point where the stroppy ones were flying / crawling down in platoons into my wellies to get at me. I had got to the point of thinking about reaching for the petrol can, when a wiser and much more (genuinely) experienced beekeeper friend of mine advised just leaving them alone. A couple of weeks later they were right as rain, as they say.

Don't dismiss things like location, it could very well be that space on the stand. You hear stories of a particular stand always has moody bees, even when a known, gentle colony is moved there. I have a stand under an Oak and the colony on the one end always play up. Moved a lovely colony there in September and they are now runny and pinging, while two feet away and straight after inspecting them, the next is a breeze with no smoke required.
Sometimes moving a hive achieves positive results, hope you manage to sort it out.
I’m sure I remember a thread some while back, where moody bees in particular positions in the apiary was discussed. Some very experienced members posted about it as I recall. It will be interesting to see if this is the issue the poster has.

Not down to spacing, but as usual there are just too many variables to know what is really going on. What do you mean by 'stroppy'? One Beek's stroppy is another's normal. Do they attack if you go near the hive, or just when you are inspecting? Do you always inspect this hive first or last? Is their behavior a recent change or long term? Sometimes a few weeks can make a difference. Maybe I'm a masochist, but I have never changed a queen even in a lively hive, and find it sorts itself out with time.

Being over crowded can make a colony defensive, as can a sudden drop in foraging availability, either due to shortage, or poor weather. Even the “June gap” can be a trigger. Giving more space can help.

Back