Strewth - probs darn under ...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spare a thought for our Aussie cousins - they've been enduring temperatures well above 35 deg C for some time now, and are now looking at seven consecutive days at 40 deg C.
Now that's a tad on the warm side, mate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-38805402

LJ

In another current thread we are told research shows that 40 degrees kills varroa but does not damage bees or hive parts. It's an ill wind that blows no one any good.

I used to work with an Aussie. He used to get excited whenever someone said "Show us yer shackle marks Bruce". :icon_204-2:

In another current thread we are told research shows that 40 degrees kills varroa but does not damage bees or hive parts. It's an ill wind that blows no one any good.

I used to work with an Aussie. He used to get excited whenever someone said "Show us yer shackle marks Bruce". :icon_204-2:

Fortunately for the Aussies, they don't have Varroa yet but do have small hive beetles - lots of them!

CVB

I would think that fire hazards are a high priority in some areas. Eucalyptus and similar?

That's not good, I was in Turkey once at those temps and we had a mountain Forrest fire, it was unbelievable, was like something out of a movie. Our hotel was next to the first on the lower mountain, 3 days to get under control..

Temps were 35 plus when we spoke to our daughter at Christmas and they've hit 40 a few times since then. I wouldn't fancy that at all.
On the beekeeping front, SHB is manageable and strong colonies tend to sort things out. My son-in-law posted a photo of SHB larvae and adult on one of his nuc frames. The frame was swapped for a comb of brood from a strong colony, which then cleaned up the other one.

QUOTE]

But wouldn't they fan/evaporate water to keep the inside temp down?

QUOTE]

But wouldn't they fan/evaporate water to keep the inside temp down?

Quite possibly.
Anyone with the data and analytical/mathematical skills to produce a brood chamber temperature response curve to the influence of external temperature changes? It's an area into which if I recall correctly Derek is planning further investigation.

Temps now hitting 45 degrees, nearly 47 in one place and night time temps of 26. People being advised to stay in or near the pool if possible.

Crikey! I once went hiking/camping in the Sahara where it hit 42 and I was really really uncomfortable; in tears at one stage.
I hope Sam's bees are ok

cus live on the gold coast, she has boats jet skis and pool and plenty of wine so she's ok, I would think the wax is getting a bit wobbly at them temperature's .

We checked last night (their Sunday morning 10:20 am) and it was already 37 degrees and 44 forecast for later.
Their bees are doing fine.

We checked last night (their Sunday morning 10:20 am) and it was already 37 degrees and 44 forecast for later.
Their bees are doing fine.

It was snowing all day in Callington Cornwall yesterday.... world of extreems!

Nos da

Latest posts

Back