Streptomycin

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BKF Admin

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Is Streptomycin used to treat bees?

I noticed that a seller of eu honey has traces of Streptomycin in a lab analysis of contents.

Is Streptomycin used to treat bees?

I noticed that a seller of eu honey has traces of Streptomycin in a lab analysis of contents.

It is allowed to use in EU but it cannot be found in honey. All honey stores will be destroyed.

Finman

What is it used for? Not that I would use it, even if it was legal here. Just curious.

Over here we use oxtetracycline,for EFB, but nothing for AFB.

Over here we use oxtetracycline,for EFB, but nothing for AFB.

We can use antibiot for hive, but we cannot take honey from that.

I can use it for example that if I have disease after winter, I give medicin and in proper situation I shake bees into foundation hive.
I get rid off disease and medicine residuals too. We have not absolute burning rule. We cannot move hives from site. Vet will order the consept.
We can save bees with shaking but combs is better to burn.

Medicine covers disease for a while and it will burst again.

in USA medicine is meant for prevention. If disease have bursted in the hive (black tar), medicine helps not much because cell are so contaminated with disease.

Last edited:
We also shake the bee's onto new wax for EFB,sometimes using oxytet,but not allways,it also works well with no antibiotic.

,it also works well with no antibiotic.

I would use it before shaking to save the brood and emerging bees. After shaking it is not needed. If brood is couple of frames, they are better to destroy and take brood later from heathy hives to aid the colony expansion.

Yes you are correct but in uk ,this work has to be carried out by DEFRA bee inspector,and this is the way they do it,by law,you have to report EFB or AFB,and all AFB colonys have to be destroyed by fire,no treatments at all.Yet we know these things:puke:

Latest posts

Back