Strange swelling on Queen cell...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lesley Hoppy

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
After my rather premature killing of the old queen last week - I looked into the hive today to check that they hadn't made a rash of emergency cells alongside the supercedure queen cell.
They hadn't - well - there were a couple of play cups....
However, the queen cell is really huge - and looks even bigger because it seems to have a bulge grafted onto the side of it at the base.
I would really like to remove this bulge in case it is actually another queen cell - but in doing so it would damage the ripe one. Has anyone any explanation for this?
Sorry - cant really go in again to take a photo....:confused:

I have no idea what you are seeing a possible explanation and a guess a very close drone cell?

If its your only one then all I can suggest is just wait and see.

Good luck

After my rather premature killing of the old queen last week - I looked into the hive today to check that they hadn't made a rash of emergency cells alongside the supercedure queen cell.
They hadn't - well - there were a couple of play cups....
However, the queen cell is really huge - and looks even bigger because it seems to have a bulge grafted onto the side of it at the base.
I would really like to remove this bulge in case it is actually another queen cell - but in doing so it would damage the ripe one. Has anyone any explanation for this?
Sorry - cant really go in again to take a photo....:confused:

reminds me of a joke I heard....
Englishman goes to the doctors with a toad on the side of his head, Dr asks " what seems to be the problem?"
at which the toad replies "it started as a boil on my bum !"

If it was placed after the first QC - leave it. The first cell will hatch and if it is another QC she should attack...and if not she should mate before the 2nd is ready to and the workers should tear it down...Of course a lot of 'shoulds' but safer than mucking up your only QC!!

I think your suggestion of a very close drone cell - describes what I am seeing very well .... thats probably what it is

How do you get on with spellcheckers Jenkins? Do you have to turn them off?

Be curious by all means but just leave well alone as the bees really do know what they are doing and it cannot be much of a problem anyway.

Latest posts

Back