Strange swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodland bees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
One of my hives swarmed on the 22nd May, leaving behind open Q cells. After a couple of checks I left a single sealed Q cell which appeared to hatch at the start of June.

Today they swarmed again and on inspecting the hive there were four sealed Q cells but all were empty.

As it was starting to rain I only did a quick check and there doesn't seem to be any eggs or larvae in the hive.

This puzzles me, it seems they've built dud q cells and swarmed when the new queen has not started laying. Can anyone advise what might be going on?

I've caught the swarm and I'll give both colonies a good inspection when the weather improves and probably merge them, I'm just curious to know why they swarmed a 2nd time.

probably just a cast swarm, you probably missed a q cell first time around, and have destroyed their backup cells. I expect you will need to add a frame of brood when you unite to help keep them together. OR frame of eggs as a test frame.

The four sealed, empty, cells were not missed last time as they were very obvious. They've been made after the original Q cell has hatched or been broken down.

Seems strange they've swarmed if there's no viable Q cells left, I'll have a thorough check in the next couple of days as the weather looks better.

I found a couple of empty QCs on a frame for a colony (caught swarm) that I believe to be superceding. They've torn down another couple that I assume were charged, but left those two. BIAS present, but odd nonetheless.

It is interesting indeed there were 4 duds, one is common but four is unusual.
But yes, cast swarm and another virgin in the BC... weather being the influencer.
Do your stuff when recombining.

Bill

Well, weather being better I've inspected the swarm and the colony it came from. Small Qs in both, so probably virgins still. Normally I leave two sealed Q cells and don't have a problem with casts but this time I thought I had just left one and I get a cast.

I'll see if they both mate successfully before deciding what to do next. We have loads of swallows and hornets about so I'm not sure how good their chances are!

Back