• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Strainaway equipment wanted

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazy_bull

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,

Does anyone have any 'Strainaway' equipment they would like to sell, in particular, filters 40 micron and or 60 micron, but any other bits considered, location not a problem but condition must be good.

Regards

C B

Now why would you want that kit?

A spin dryer is cheaper and a damn sight more effective.

PH

Now why would you want that kit?

A spin dryer is cheaper and a damn sight more effective.

PH

Great for handling smaller batches of honey for small batch orders, the vast majority of my honey is stored in 30lb buckets un-filtered, and when specific orders come in we do a batch to match, it will hold 2x30lb perfectly well (my warming cabinets hold 4 x 30lb buckets each) and acts as our bottling station at the same time as being a final quality control with regards ingress of dirt/contamination into the honey, so we warm then filter (60micro for liquid honey 40micron for set/creamed honey), this is then bottled direct from the filtering system meaning one less process (transfering to a bottling station).

If i had a spindryer i would still need a bottling station and at the moment can bottle extremely quickly from the strainaway. I admit with the project we have going at the moment i may have to resort to filtering all the honey soon after extracting which may need a automated filtration system put in place, but this year i will just test the water, it's another job i could do without at extraction time, i currently extract, it all goes into a apimelter to settle then is weighed out into buckets or the odd barrel for storage.

The experiment at the moment is to filter osr honey straight into buckets then when it comes to creaming we won't have to completely re-liquidify the OSR honey inorder to filter it as it will already be done and so creaming should be easier, though this really does slow the process down as especially with OSR the small crystals already formed in the extracted honey instantly clog the filters so the honey must be heated first before filtering, this slows the job greatly, the apimelter will hold about 350lb at a time but this requires atleast 12hrs of gentle heat to break all the crystals, and as i can extract that ammount in under 4hrs the system soon stops (luckily at the moment i extract of an evening and then let it warm over night or till the next evening and extract before the next batch). Much easier to blitz it into the tank allow to settle on a gentle heat as you fill the tank and then straight into buckets to deal with at a later less busy time.

Besides the last stainaway I bought (2 tanks and 3 different meshes) cost me £50 so hardly a bank breaker.

If the experiment is a success this year i may upgrade the filtering system, until then I will keep plodding on as we are, next purchase is likely to be a new extractor but that may have to wait until next year.

C B

Supplier still exists - was selling a few new ones recently - he may have bits and pieces still left in stock - try contacting Mr Garn.

Latest posts

Back