Storing used frames over winter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbees2

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Another question please. After extracting honey I put the fames back into the hive above the crown board for the bees to clean up. Would like to store through the winter, finding the advice a bit conflicting. So - can i wrap them in newspaper put in a big plastic box and leave in the shed until spring? Or do I have to do so ething more cimplicated.
Thanks for your help

There are a couple of problems that may arise. Wet frames can start to ferment. Not a real problem but it can start to smell a bit strong, the bees will clean it all up in the spring, storing dry frames can end up with wax moth which is why we try and get rid of any wax moth eggs and grubs first. Some freeze the frames for 48 hours and others spray with Certan. Or you can inspect regularly and hope for the best. Once dealt with by whichever method you can store in supers all tied together with a solid floor and roof or store frames in plastic box's. Some areas have worse wax moth than others. They prefer frames that have had brood in them but they will ruin super frames too.
Try a method and see if it works. I would advise monthly checks for wax moth over the winter. Hold the frame up to the light and look for holes through the foundation, any sign of webbing on the outside of the frames is a pretty sure sign. They burrow through the wax at the bottom of the cells so they are not obvious just by looking at the surface of the frames. You can smell a bad infestation.
Hope this helps
E

I spray mine with certan and store them wet. I normally put a solid board under and above to be sure to keep out wax moth and nice. Certan works a treat, never had a problem with wax moth on older brood frames or supers when I've treated with it.

Just to add to the confusion :) Dry and outside in stacks with a floor and roof, so nowt can get in or out.
Mice are attracted to the smell from wet supers and in the past have eaten their way into one or two poly supers. Plus I hate the smell and mould I see in them in spring. I have too many to bag them all up.
It's cold enough to deter wax moths up here most winters but IF I find time I burn some sulphur in a crucible underneath each stack using the chimney effect, but it's probably not necessary, just makes me feel happier.

Have always just used burned sulphur. Two treatments as it does not kill the eggs. Thrones make it easy by selling sulphur impregnated cards, which you hang in a tin and light. More expensive than using the sulphur from a horticultural sulphur candle but much more convenient. Has stood me in good stead the last eight years.

sulphur

Have always just used burned sulphur. Two treatments as it does not kill the eggs. Thrones make it easy by selling sulphur impregnated cards, which you hang in a tin and light. More expensive than using the sulphur from a horticultural sulphur candle but much more convenient. Has stood me in good stead the last eight years.

I hadn't thought of using a horticultural sulphur candle !

Also, someone above said they burned theirs in a crucible - I thought sulphur was a heavy gas and sank through the supers rather than rising ?

Off to the nearest (good) plant nursery I go !

KR

S

Latest posts

Back