Storing Supers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzz lightyear

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How do folks do it?
Last year, the few drawn frames I did got a bit of a hit from wax moth. This year I am putting them in a big sealed plastic bag.
do members have any advice re medication in between them. e.g. Newspaper, etc...
Just starting to get a few drawn and really dont want to start again in spring. It made a huge difference on the early rape
Thanks, Buzz :)

Several ways. Certan, ethanoic acid treatment, freezer treatment, sulphur candle.

Sealed bags is good as long as all is certainly dead.

A few frames is easy. Lots of boxes may need to be retreated at regular intervals.

Wax moth will gain entry with just half a chance.

Regards, RAB

Buzz, if you have some partially drawn frames, you may consider storing them below your brood chamber over winter, effectively brood and a half. The girls will look after them for you and they'll not have to waste energy moving any honey that remains in them. The extra space will also help if any late brood combined with an unexpectedly high ivy flow causes over crowding in late Sept which I have previously been told can cause swarming on a single brrod box. Come spring move the super north of the qe, by the time you want to harvest (even with rape) any brood will have long gone and your drawn frame will be put back into good use. I have a super that I have done exactly that with today since no prospect of getting a useful yield from it. Rosti

sulphur candle

Would this be ok in a polly stack with a wooden brood on top ?

With the supers wet.

Stack supers up to 6 high with an empty brood box on top, seal all joints with masking tape. Light 2 sulphur strips in the burner and quickly put on a close fitting roof. repeat treatment monthly.
Caution Sulphur Dioxide is very toxic and heavier than air.
Mike

Latest posts

Back