storing supers wet

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liam C Ryan

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How can one store supers wet . If sealed top and bottom would they not get moody.
Regards. Liam C

hahahaha

he said moody not suicidal.

Yup. I had a shock last year. One of my supers had hung itself

Oh boy!! You've really got to watch those auto correct mistakes on this forum! You lot are merciless! :smilielol5:

I love it!

I hope you get some advice soon. I'd say wrap them in cling film tightly and store somewhere cool, but I may be wrong.

How can one store supers wet . If sealed top and bottom would they not get moody.
Regards. Liam C

If you have some wet ones at present why not let the bees use/store the residual nectar/honey? Better than just stuffing the frames away in shed or whatever surely.

Regards. Liam C

Hi Liam,
I stored them wet last Year. I put newspaper over each super & stored inside a large bin liner. Kept them in spare room in my house . No problems or mould.
Some just stack them with newspaper between each and cover board on top.

Why the newspaper between each super?

Any drips from super above wont land on the top bars of frames underneath so just keeps everything that bit cleaner. I clean all propolis off frames also before storing.
Just leaves frames easier to handle if not sticky with honey when you take it out to use next spring.

No need for clingfilm Kaz, although Veg on here wraps the whole super in the indusrtial cling film used to pack pallets before stacking them in the garage -Just stack them all up - piece of plywood top and bottom and cinch the lot up with a hive strap, they won't get mouldy and having them wet not dry (by letting the bees clean them up for you) it's less likely the wax moth will have a go at them. It's best to store them in a coldish place - i have an old covered dog run which is graet - you could just stack the whole lot outdoors on a hive stand with a hive roof on top to keep the rain off - perfect

No need for clingfilm Kaz, although Veg on here wraps the whole super in the indusrtial cling film used to pack pallets before stacking them in the garage -Just stack them all up - piece of plywood top and bottom and cinch the lot up with a hive strap, they won't get mouldy and having them wet not dry (by letting the bees clean them up for you) it's less likely the wax moth will have a go at them. It's best to store them in a coldish place - i have an old covered dog run which is graet - you could just stack the whole lot outdoors on a hive stand with a hive roof on top to keep the rain off - perfect

Thanks jenkinsbrynmair, saved me a lot of unnecessary faffing about there lol

Bit confused JBM. When you say wet, do you mean as out of the spinner or do you consider them still wet after the bees have cleaned them up?

Out of the spinner, straight back in the super and then sealed up for the winter - just realised my first post was confusing!
Bit of faff and nonsense putting them back on the hives/pulling them off again, fooling around with sulphur strips in the winter with the subsequent damage to the metal runners.
No mould or anything and the bees are back in the supers like a shot in the spring to clan everything up ready for the next harvest

I agree with JBM, but never had a problem with sulphur and the metal. It is the acetic acid that really has a go at any metal.

I had several stacks of supers stored in a stable over winter last year.

the last stack was stored wet. The rats found it and ate their way through the bottom super and got into the frames. Despite baiting, some always try and come in for winter

the others were not touched. I clingfilmed all of the the stacks, and sulphur candle went on each stack. The runners DO corrode, and a sulphur candles per stack is not cheap or efficient.

thinking about trying to store the frames wet in a some old freezers this year, but am worried about mould.

alternatively, I might build a large 'smoker' for placing large mounts of dry frames in and smoking the lot in one go..

still looking for the 'perfect' solution!

might try sulphur strips this year...

thinking about trying to store the frames wet in a some old freezers this year, but am worried about mould.

alternatively, I might build a large 'smoker' for placing large mounts of dry frames in and smoking the lot in one go..

Big old chest freezers make good fumigation chambers for supers with combs, one teaspoon of sulphur (to about twelve supers) placed on a small mesh trivet on a piece of newspaper, cheap and efficient fumigation for wax moth.

Last edited:
This is my first year where I might get the chance to store some supers, but they are likely to be dry. Any chance one of the grown ups could do a sticky post on overwintering supers?

Will mold be a problem if frames stored in an old upright fridge and if so is there anyway of preventing it ?

Latest posts

Back