Storing supers for winter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I store my supers dry in my shed. 2 columns of supers about 6 feet high with 3/4 ply top and bottom.
Any spiders I find in the house I alway chuck them in the shed and it always looks like the Adams family house in the spring but I never get any moths ....

Just as a heads up, today I moved a stack of what I thought were secure wet supers and found a couple frames that had already been colonies by wax moth larvae - wax gone in about a third of the frame and nice big grubs for the chicken. Will be treated everything I can with Diple ASAP Only finished harvesting just over 3 weeks ago, so doesn't take long for a problem to develop
i stored wet last year and had 3-4 with a fair amount of wax moth....i separated each super with plastic sheeting

this year i have returned to storing dry after 2 days in freezer and plastic sheeting between each super...hope two days is enough for poly supers and that insulation qualities dont protect eggs/larvae

Latest posts

Back