Storing frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixFooter

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Is it OK to store mini nuc frames that have honey and pollen in them?
Can I just put them in a box with some acetic acid and then reuse them next year or does the pollen go off.

Id say it would go rock solid and become unusable, then you will get maybe a wax moth etc best just to use the material , clean up and make ready for re-use

what about wrapping in cling film to keep out moth and preserve moisture??

Probably a silly idea

Tbh whatever works, the only time ive seen unused honey kept is in storage containers, & pollen kept for adding to the melted wax for sale or re-use,

Ive never seen honey/pollen left in combs/frames

Last edited:
If you really want to keep them....then stick them in the deep freeze and they will remain as fresh as the day you put them in there... (we store whole supers of heather comb honey this way),personally i prefer to discard them and set up the mini's with fresh foundation each season.....part of the bonding and building process for the new tiny colony's.

I agree with HIvemaker here.

Dump them.

These wee colonies NEED to build comb and behave in a "normal" way. The surplus combs can be put over a normal colony and "robbed" out and utilised to boost it.

PH

Like wise, left in a garage over winter you will have mini nucs that look like sieves as the wax moth burrows into the poly

The honey will be fine but unless you freeze the pollen it will go mouldy.

h2d9.jpg

Back