Storing comb/foundation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the druggist

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi All

Some advice please. Just made up some (24) 14x12 frames of foundation and double that of super frames and foundation for my new hive (no. 2).

How do you peeps store this and frames of comb to avoid pests etc.? Especially if you have loads like RAB.....

Do I need to make sure it's insect (moth) proof?

Thanks in advance

Tony

Hi All

Some advice please. Just made up some (24) 14x12 frames of foundation and double that of super frames and foundation for my new hive (no. 2).

How do you peeps store this and frames of comb to avoid pests etc.? Especially if you have loads like RAB.....

Do I need to make sure it's insect (moth) proof?

Thanks in advance

Tony
erm, make up the frames and string 'em together and hang 'em up. leave the wax in the packet 'til just B4 it's needed is usual method

Erm I seem to be a bit pre prepared then! Got a bit excited by having new hive!

So how about comb that you intend to reuse? Do you need to store in a bug proof box/bag or just leave in spare supers?

Tony

Be prepared to use a hot air dryer on your waxed frames.

Yes you are just a tad ahead, some 9 weeks or so. Look at your foundation the day before, or the very day, and apply the hot air, so that the wax darkens slightly and the air becomes redolent with the smell of warm wax.

Next time keep in the packet until the day before.

PH

Thanks for the replies. At the moment they're sealed in plastic bags with every possible entry point duck taped.

I take it the hair dryer bit is so the bees like it more and do better on it?

You live and learn!

Tony

I'm also intrigued to know how you intend to fit 24 frames in your new beehaus (and get them filled) along with 48 shallows? It must be a very early nuc.

A 14 x 12 nuc or a deep nuc? Former will have some frames, latter will unlikely be filling that number of frames in it's first year. Shallows are so much easier to handle and extract as a crop and 48 is more than 2 layers of 1/2 supers on that hive.

It may well be possible with some manipulations with No.1, but I think I would suggest carefully removing half those foundations you have fitted, as they may only be needed much later in the season. You may be conning us and some are for No.1?

How many frames did No.1 fully utilise last year?

Regards, RAB

Thanks for the replies. At the moment they're sealed in plastic bags with every possible entry point duck taped.

I take it the hair dryer bit is so the bees like it more and do better on it?

You live and learn!

Tony

Over time, foundation will develop a grey crust or "bloom" as the surface dries out / oxidises. The bees seem unwilling or unable to work this crust into drawn honeycomb.

Warming the foundation with a hair dryer or in front of a hot fire, will release the natural oils in the wax, and make the surface softer and workable again.

Not too much, or you will melt the foundation :)

Savoyard

i told our beginners on the course,

if your kit comes with 11 brood frames then only make up five brood frames for your new hive, because you will get five frames in the nuc, if the are all standard brood then add a super frame for a drone frame to make the eleven frames in the brood, otherwise make up another brood frame

you then have 5 or 6 unmade brood frames for next year

But i know they will still make up all the frames in one go ( i did) :party:

Last edited:
Change that to include a dummy or, prefeably, a divider. You don't want a 5 frame nuc of bees, wallowing around, in a cold and draughty box with 100% excess free space! They cannot easily cope! (OK, in this instance ther will be one available)

Regards, RAB

Christmas brought a lovelly new WBC with all the trimmings. Assembled by my brother in secret including all the frames complete with foundation. Now sat in his bedroom while I try and find a new house. After reading this (and I was concerned that the wax was out exposed etc - but because of moths not because of the above explanations) I will now have to cock about lol. Nothing is ever simple is it lol. "Oh yeah wax dries out btw. Grey dust, didnt you know. . . . . all beautifully melted onto the wires, all painstakingly done in the dark winter evenings by my brother. Tupperware here we come.

Wouldnt over worry Storm, I did all my frames last year in December/January, not knowing any better, and it didnt seem to inhibit the bees. Dare say the hairdrier is a good idea but no serious damage.

This year, thanks to RAB curtailing my over-enthusiasm, I've just built the frames without foundation and the final two batons. Should be quick to finish off when needed

Over time, foundation will develop a grey crust or "bloom" as the surface dries out / oxidises. The bees seem unwilling or unable to work this crust into drawn honeycomb.

d

i never mind about dusty appearance of foundation. Just now my foundation store has
temp -20C and they get powder surface.

I have used many years old foundations and they have allways drawn them.

If you put them too early to the hive, they do nothing.
If the colony have swarming fever, they often not draw the combs.

I keep often foundation against the hive wall and i see from it when they start to draw it.

Drawing burr is one sign too

bees draw new combs only when they need them. They have not long distant building plan.

Last edited:
My friend use to put grey foundations to sun to some metall plate that they become soft, I do not mind.

But when i melt wires into foundation, temp must be 25C. Otherwise wax do not rest evenly on wires.

Hi RAB

Be intrigued no more, they're not just for my Beehaus. I need to replace some of the old short frames that came with my nuc last june as they are the short (standard) ones. I'll leave one in for drone culling. I bought myself a 14x12 national in cedar with a couple of supers.

I'll either try to raise a second colony or hope my near neighbour (the local assoc swarm collector) will provide a starter colony. My wife prefers option 2 as she wants to see lots of honey! Something about the girls earning their keep, she said.

Next year the third colony! Hopefully.

Nice to know others have been preprepared too!

Tony

Back