Stoneleigh tomorrow.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
Just realised it IS tomorrow and am seriously in two minds about going at all.

Not interested in the Thornes scrum nonsense. Not going to the lectures. Why should I bother then?

PH

I'm going as I'm doing a course. I've never been before, so I want to have a look around. Is the traffic congested around Stoneleigh normally? Do I need to allow extra time for it.

Traffic not usually a problem through the town . It all flows well enough , I would suggest avoiding the melee that is the first 10 minutes after opening though ! It gets a bit rough ..

Scrum

I went fot the forst time last year. really wanted to browse the exhibition stands. It was a tight scrum for the first hour, (whereas Thornes was a loose maul). Taking SWMBO tomorrow but looking forward to a look around. :grouphug:

Not on a stall this year, Pete?? Only thing about going is the prices sometimes lower- if you push:toetap05:
Anyone who knows him- give my best wishes to Mike *******s

Oops -was that a dirty word - well his bees are 'simple'

Last edited:
First visit for me, the forum should have a meeting point :)

or not lol, I don’t understand why there is a stampede as most items have been onsale already this year, why would ppl now be acting like that?

Last edited:
Went, saw, came home with two nucs. Seemed lot less peeps than last year or even more so the year before. Not really sure why I bothered.

PH

Got there a bang on Nine, Thornes queue was rediculous, stretched almost to the entrance at one point. Didnt need anything from their sale, so spent the time looking at other stands while people fought it out in the Thornes scrum. ended up picking up a few bits and pieces, and enjoyed having a chat with a few people. I thought there was a lot more people there than last year though, and a few traders I spoke to said the same.
Had a chat with someone on the BIBBA stand, but still not joining until they start sorting out their communications, and getting a move on with Amm distribution.
I left at about 3pm....Blimmin knackered now though.

Hi, I'm new to all this, haven't posted before and don't possess a hive or any bees yet. I'm booked on a course in a month's time, but just went today to have a browse and get a feel for it all. I chatted to lots of people, sellers and browsers, got loads of information which to take home and ponder, and had a great time!

Blue

Hi Blue Spinnaker,

Welcome to the forum. Let us know where you are mate...

got there 9. Went to Gery Colins lecture at 9.30 did the stands and home for 6. Blah Blah
see you all next year, maybe....
wish i had spent the day at the bees....

over slept. got there at 10:30 (thanks god!), missed the silly season and still don’t understand why ppl put themselves through that given the sales in Jan. Didn’t enjoy the crowds as ppl seemed very pushy/rude, but things got better as the event quietened off - in fact has a number of good meetings during the day! left at 5pm home for 7pm.

Got a big smoker and 24 free small buckets - thanks to the stall that was so kind, you know who you are!

Also met the man himself, Mr Dave Cushman (on the BIBBA stand), he made the journey into beekeeping much easier for me.

Last edited:
Also met the man himself, Mr Dave Cushman (on the BIBBA stand), he made the journey into beekeeping much easier for me.

With the amount of work Dave Cushman has put into beekeeping someone should put him forward for the queens birthday list.
I realise others have also done loads but most have been paid full time for their commitment.

Admin
Totally agree with the comment about Dave, his site is full of big and little gems and you can take from it as much or little as you require, given his delicate health his work is fantastic, how do we put him forward for queens birthday list/
kev

Met Dave also and agree re Queens award, anyone listening from the BBKA? They must have the ear of those with influence at present?

Dave told me yesterday he gets 2 million, yes MILLION hits a week on his site.

Great man.

PH

Latest posts

Back