Stings - swelling question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beezy

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi,

I had a few stings yesterday and am a bit concerned about the reaction to one of them. The one on my wrist caused swelling to the elbow yesterday, and today it had spread to halfway between the shoulder and elbow today and to the rest of my hand. Is this normal? (I was covered up but thought a bee had got under the bee suit sleeve - it hadn't but I stupidly pulled it up to check and then one did!)

I know that hands and faces can get v swollen - I had one on my hand a fortnight ago that made it look like a boxing glove! - but just wanted to check that this is within the 'normal' reaction zone.

Thanks!

Hi,

I had a few stings yesterday and am a bit concerned about the reaction to one of them. The one on my wrist caused swelling to the elbow yesterday, and today it had spread to halfway between the shoulder and elbow today and to the rest of my hand. Is this normal? (I was covered up but thought a bee had got under the bee suit sleeve - it hadn't but I stupidly pulled it up to check and then one did!)

I know that hands and faces can get v swollen - I had one on my hand a fortnight ago that made it look like a boxing glove! - but just wanted to check that this is within the 'normal' reaction zone.

Thanks!

Sounds quite bad id take anti-hist' but that sort of swelling id get medical advice (dont want to worry you) :)

Sounds quite bad id take anti-hist' but that sort of swelling id get medical advice (dont want to worry you) :)

It can't hurt to ask the doc can it, and it's better to be safe. How do you feel? Ill? Or is it just the discomfort from the swelling?

i generally have quite a reaction as far as I am concerned but nothing like yours!

1 bees sting on the ball of my thumb managed to swell most of my hand but didnt track up my arm at all! The one below ended up making me look like someone had hit me with a bit of 2x2 across the nose!!

Would recommend you see the doc, dont put the deep cool pads on the chemicals that make it cold reacted a treat when I used one on a sting!!

If you have aloe vera plant would recommend putting plenty of that on! I got stung on my thumb 2 days ago and was expecting fun however after sticking a big chunk of aloe on it for 4hrs all i have today is a small blood spot. Worked a treat.

(took pic off!!!! came up soo big it almost showed my blackheads as well!!!)

Last edited:
Oh no, I was hoping that you'd all say it was normal! I'll speak to the docs tomorrow then to see what they say. I wasn't feeling well yesterday but wasn't sure if it was to do with the anti-histamine I'd taken (it was a drowsy one). I feel better today but as I say, the swelling is more.
I'm just on benadryl at the mo for the swelling and heat; was applying a hydrocortisone cream yesterday but as I can only put it on 1/2 times a day and i can apply benadryl 4 times, I've opted for the latter.

Will defo try aloe vera - I don't have a plant but I'll buy some cream tomorrow - thanks!

Oh no, I was hoping that you'd all say it was normal! I'll speak to the docs tomorrow then to see what they say. I wasn't feeling well yesterday but wasn't sure if it was to do with the anti-histamine I'd taken (it was a drowsy one). I feel better today but as I say, the swelling is more.
I'm just on benadryl at the mo for the swelling and heat; was applying a hydrocortisone cream yesterday but as I can only put it on 1/2 times a day and i can apply benadryl 4 times, I've opted for the latter.

I wouldn't worry though, you didn't mention shortness of breath so you are not allergic, just a particularly nasty one. The doc is just to be on the safe side. I make sure I don't wear any jewellery, especially my rings, when inspecting as I haven't been stung properly yet ( only an old one when carrying bee suits ) and I don't know how I'll react. Visit the doc just to be sure no infection sets in. May be unrelated, but my son had his MMR and his whole arm swelled up from shoulder to hand, and turn ed a lovely shade of black! Was just a reaction to the drug in his muscle, and went in a week.....I admit it is distressing to see though, may be a similar muscular reaction.

Last edited:
to halfway between the shoulder and elbow

If you really mean that I would seek medical help.

If, as I surmise, you mean half way from your elbow to shoulder, I would treat as a jolly good reaction and no more, as yet.

Seems as though you are like me, you swell quite a bit. It usually bothers other people more than it bothers me.

Not a Doctor, but if it is simply spreading that seems to be a fairly normal reaction. It is when it transfers further along that it may need more immediate treatment. I have needed antibiotics in the past when the effects seemed to be infection (rather than just swelling) to the glands around the shoulder.

You don't say how many and give any other locations, but a quick check by qualified person might not go amiss, particularly if still spreading.

Regards, RAB

to halfway between the shoulder and elbow

If you really mean that I would seek medical help.

If, as I surmise, you mean half way from your elbow to shoulder, I would treat as a jolly good reaction and no more, as yet.

Seems as though you are like me, you swell quite a bit. It usually bothers other people more than it bothers me.

Not a Doctor, but if it is simply spreading that seems to be a fairly normal reaction. It is when it transfers further along that it may need more immediate treatment. I have needed antibiotics in the past when the effects seemed to be infection (rather than just swelling) to the glands around the shoulder.

You don't say how many and give any other locations, but a quick check by qualified person might not go amiss, particularly if still spreading.

Regards, RAB

Exactly, if it's nothing, then you can walk away with the certainty of knowing you are just a sweller. If for some reason you need treatment, then you are in the right place and can get advice on how to proceed in the future :)

Got a glancing sting on the eye lid today when cutting the grass.

OH went potty as getting married week on Friday and she thought I would turn into elephant man. Not what you need for wedding photos.

But a bit of sting cream and (touch wood) sight very localised swell has allready gone.

So given all looks well in the hives, will nto be now inspecting until after wedding/honeymoon.

I had a similar reaction to stings the other day. Called Doc and was informed that if the swelling was very red and swollen I would need antibiotics. I called into after hours doc and was indeed perscribed them. Beter safe than sorry. Hope you are ok.

I had a blood test for stings at the Doc.'s last week and got result on Friday. I react to bug bites more than stings - yipee!...like I hadn't noticed that...

Latest posts

Back