Sting Proof Bee Suit

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you protect your head while wearing a dickies overall?
The veils I use with painters’ overalls are either the folding square veil or, mostly, a modified vest veil without elastic or strings which is worn under the overalls. I can take it off easily and tuck it in when putting it on without removing the overalls.

I remember helping my father at his hives about 70 years ago! The standard dress then was a trilby hat, a tube of black netting fastened to the hat brim with elastic, a ring of garden wire to keep it away from the face, and tucked into a sports jacket. Ee, we were poor! But so was everyone else.

The veils I use with painters’ overalls are either the folding square veil or, mostly, a modified vest veil without elastic or strings which is worn under the overalls. I can take it off easily and tuck it in when putting it on without removing the overalls.

I remember helping my father at his hives about 70 years ago! The standard dress then was a trilby hat, a tube of black netting fastened to the hat brim with elastic, a ring of garden wire to keep it away from the face, and tucked into a sports jacket. Ee, we were poor! But so was everyone else.
Creative 😊 my father used to keep bees before my days and he wore no protection and never had a sting

An update to my original question!
I bought the Sentinel suit and have so far worn it twice whilst changing over the fondants. Ive been hugely surprised by how airy it is! Bizarrely even wearing it indoors I could feel cool air drifting through it. Used it round the hives and actually felt chilly! The veil I felt, left my face a bit exposed so I’m wearing it with a stiff Panama to keep the mesh from coining in contact with my skin. I’ve also found I can fold the suit legs round so I can fit them in my wellies. So I’m hoping that when it comes to inspections I’m pretty well protected. Won’t be digging in the veg garden in it so I’m still at risk of another sneaky sting up the sleeve! Hey ho life is full of risks!😊

An update to my original question!
I bought the Sentinel suit and have so far worn it twice whilst changing over the fondants. Ive been hugely surprised by how airy it is! Bizarrely even wearing it indoors I could feel cool air drifting through it. Used it round the hives and actually felt chilly! The veil I felt, left my face a bit exposed so I’m wearing it with a stiff Panama to keep the mesh from coining in contact with my skin. I’ve also found I can fold the suit legs round so I can fit them in my wellies. So I’m hoping that when it comes to inspections I’m pretty well protected. Won’t be digging in the veg garden in it so I’m still at risk of another sneaky sting up the sleeve! Hey ho life is full of risks!😊

I'm thinking of getting one. Did you choose the 'hat' or ' [fencing-type] veil'? I prefer the latter for keeping keeping bees well clear.

I'm thinking of getting one. Did you choose the 'hat' or ' [fencing-type] veil'? I prefer the latter for keeping keeping bees well clear.
Hi Giles,
I have used a sentinel fencing veil suit for one season, and really happy with it. Kept me cool on the hottest summer days. Veil is good to see through and I have had no problem with it touching my face.
I bought a size larger than usual and it is still a bit snug, but I seem to recall, from this forum that they have resized since. Might be an idea to check

Hi Giles,
I have used a sentinel fencing veil suit for one season, and really happy with it. Kept me cool on the hottest summer days. Veil is good to see through and I have had no problem with it touching my face.
I bought a size larger than usual and it is still a bit snug, but I seem to recall, from this forum that they have resized since. Might be an idea to check

Thanks Des. I fear my requisite suit size will be somewhat larger than yours. Still, per oz of fabric, better value.....

Hi Amari, I went with the fencing veil. I’m used to this from by BB Wear suit and haven’t had problems in the past, however I have found the Sentinel suit veil quite ‘soft’ and it does blow onto my face hence I’m using the stiff Panama to keep it away.

Latest posts

Back