Sting Proof Bee Suit

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Surprised at the veil quality comment, Elaine. My friend has a Sentinel and I was well impressed how clear it was, very similar to Sherriff clear view I thought, Much better than my Ozarmour which seems to catch the light, same with my BBwear suits but I put that down to the age of them
Hi there, my problem with the veil was it came away from the seam, agree the clarity is fine. My bee inspector made the recommendation of tucking the veil inside the suit before washing, but when I called the supplier they said it should be removed to prevent tearing in the machine. Also to keep well away from the Velcro which can also tear it.

I have a Swienty mesh and ozarmour, the Swienty for me is the best out of the two as it is very robust when it comes to brambles and I have never been stung through it. If you are wearing the mesh gloves or leather gloves, then the weak point for getting stung is the compression the gauntlet part makes due to the tight elastic near the elbow.

I have a sentinel , zero stings so far other than through palm of the glove (leather) but that was my fault ,earl morning,zero coffee and carelessness.

It's decades since I relied on a bee-jacket and veil only. How do you stop bees crawling up inside the suit from the back when you bend forwards? This happened frequently and I never felt safe.
I have a full-body suit, but I have been contemplating getting a jacket, because It would be so much easier to get into than a full suit. You asked, "How do you stop bees crawling up inside the suit from the back when you bend forwards?" I wonder whether a belt, fitted firmly around the waist, would hold the jacket close enough to the beekeeper's body to prevent bees from climbing inside the jacket?
What advice can any of you (who wear jackets) give about how tightly the jacket needs to be fitted against the body?

I have a full-body suit, but I have been contemplating getting a jacket, because It would be so much easier to get into than a full suit. You asked, "How do you stop bees crawling up inside the suit from the back when you bend forwards?" I wonder whether a belt, fitted firmly around the waist, would hold the jacket close enough to the beekeeper's body to prevent bees from climbing inside the jacket?
What advice can any of you (who wear jackets) give about how tightly the jacket needs to be fitted against the body?

Tuck the jacket inside your trouser waistband.
Yes that would work but I'm wondering if you are getting bees trying to crawl up your jacket a full suit is indicated anyway?

I wear a jacket for 95% of my inspections. ( I only get the Ozarmour full suit out when having to deal with real pissy bees or on extremely hot days) in the 5 years I've been keeping I don't think I've ever had a bee creep up via my waistband. They've entered by every other gap but not there, strange......

I wear a jacket for 95% of my inspections. ( I only get the Ozarmour full suit out when having to deal with real pissy bees or on extremely hot days) in the 5 years I've been keeping I don't think I've ever had a bee creep up via my waistband. They've entered by every other gap but not there, strange......
Me neither, wrists and ankles mainly.

Me neither, wrists and ankles mainly.
I have mostly jackets .. never had bees try and get up inside from the waist band - I have a couple of full suits for visitors and one bomb proof one for the rare occasion when I've had to deal with a really pissy colony. If I'm doing messy jobs around the bees I have a thin painters bib and brace overall that goes comfortably under the jacket.

I prefer jackets and wear cheap elasticated running bottoms to stop my trousers becoming messed up, I find a two piece easier then a romper suit.

I changed to a jacket for pure convenience having hopped about on one leg trying to get a full suit on and wellington boots in the Association apiary car park. A Lyson jacket with round veil from Abelo together with asda cheap jeans works for me and I've sorted out a couple of hives from hell in that ensemble without stings. (Who was that at the back who said where there's no sense there's no feeling?)

I got stung on my ankle last weekend. I forgot to put my wellies in the car. Full bee suit and leather shoes. Thin socks. Not good.

I got stung on my ankle last weekend. I forgot to put my wellies in the car. Full bee suit and leather shoes. Thin socks. Not good.
I don't use wellies, mostly work boots and during the summer its sometimes just trainers and I've never really had many stings to my ankle until I dropped a box of bees on my foot! Now that smarted!!!!!

I don’t know how I have survived so long without owning a beesuit! A square folding wire veil will suffice for a casual inspection . Otherwise a smock should be fine with jeans and walking gaiters to protect the ankles. I find wellies far too hot most of the time. If I need to look like a beekeeper or have a very feisty stock then Dickies zip fronted painters overalls are much cheaper than a beesuit!

Yes that would work but I'm wondering if you are getting bees trying to crawl up your jacket a full suit is indicated anyway?
I do not like bees crawling anywhere on the inside of my clothes!
The complaint I have with a full suit is that it requires much more effort to climb into it, than the effort required to put on a jacket. What I would like to achieve is protection from the bees, but with simplicity of protective clothing which is easy to cover my body.
A jacket may not provide adequate protection for someone who is wearing short trousers. However, it seems to be "overkill" to wear a bee suit which includes trousers if I am already wearing sturdy trousers which can give suitable protection.
We have probably all watched videos of beekeepers who worked with bare hands, or wearing shorts, or even without veils. All of these scenarios provide the opportunity for bees to be able easily to sting the beekeeper. Some beekeepers seem quite content to accept that risk - but not me!
I have made a "cape" with a hat and veil attached to it, which fits over my head and shoulders, and this has proved very useful for me when working in the garden if I am concerned that some bees may object to my presence. The real advantage for me is that I can slip it on, or take it off, in about two seconds maximum. If there was some easy way to use tie-down straps to hold it close to my body, then I do not think that I would even need to think about wearing a bee-jacket. I have seen videos of some bee keepers wearing just a veil (for example Kamon Reynolds), but I would appreciate any information on how to successfully fit and use tie-down straps to make my cape 100% bee-resistant

I do not like bees crawling anywhere on the inside of my clothes!
The complaint I have with a full suit is that it requires much more effort to climb into it, than the effort required to put on a jacket. What I would like to achieve is protection from the bees, but with simplicity of protective clothing which is easy to cover my body.
A jacket may not provide adequate protection for someone who is wearing short trousers. However, it seems to be "overkill" to wear a bee suit which includes trousers if I am already wearing sturdy trousers which can give suitable protection.
We have probably all watched videos of beekeepers who worked with bare hands, or wearing shorts, or even without veils. All of these scenarios provide the opportunity for bees to be able easily to sting the beekeeper. Some beekeepers seem quite content to accept that risk - but not me!
I have made a "cape" with a hat and veil attached to it, which fits over my head and shoulders, and this has proved very useful for me when working in the garden if I am concerned that some bees may object to my presence. The real advantage for me is that I can slip it on, or take it off, in about two seconds maximum. If there was some easy way to use tie-down straps to hold it close to my body, then I do not think that I would even need to think about wearing a bee-jacket. I have seen videos of some bee keepers wearing just a veil (for example Kamon Reynolds), but I would appreciate any information on how to successfully fit and use tie-down straps to make my cape 100% bee-resistant
Sorry, I wish I could help. It must take me 30 seconds to get into my suit which is far short of your requirements. I didn't realise your garden was a potential danger zone.
You must be coming towards the end of your beekeeping year. How has the season been for you?
We are just a few weeks from a first look in to the hives, here in the UK

Whilst costing a bit as i had had attacks and been desentized i know use the Sherriff Bee Pro suit, designed so it is almost impossible to get stung, with extra protection ears, extended veil bars, cross bar on the veil to stop it being blown in, double layering etc etc.

I don’t know how I have survived so long without owning a beesuit! A square folding wire veil will suffice for a casual inspection . Otherwise a smock should be fine with jeans and walking gaiters to protect the ankles. I find wellies far too hot most of the time. If I need to look like a beekeeper or have a very feisty stock then Dickies zip fronted painters overalls are much cheaper than a beesuit!
How do you protect your head while wearing a dickies overall?

Having recently had a massive localised reaction to a sting on my wrist🤦🏼‍♀️ (I was digging in the veg patch when the little blighter crawled up my sleeve!), my GP has advised me to very careful around my hives. He initially suggested I might want to reconsider bee keeping but I think the look of horror on my face told him that this was unlikely to happen so he suggested have a look for better protection. Anyway I’ve been looking at sting ‘proof’ bee suits and there are several on the market ranging from ridiculously expensive to quite reasonable. This is the most reasonably priced and its uk/ Welsh made so this pleases me! Sentinel Queen Bee Women’s Beekeeping Suit
Has anyone got a view or experience of these suits (or any others)?😊
One place I always used to get stung is on the wrists where there was sometimes a gap between gloves and suit cuff ,Sleeve protectors sorted the problem.The only time I get stung now is when I have a senior moment and forget to zip the hood up.
Velcro or parcel tape around the wrists and a double layer of light clothing under my beesuit is enough for me. Rarely stung and if I do get one it is usually my fault.

Latest posts

Back