sting problem should i be worried?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpearce4

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
a few more than last year but still not enough
i got stung on 2 fingers over the weekend, the fingers were next to each other. the stings have come up as normal on the fingers, the one on the tip being more painful and more swollen. the nuckles have swollen and then an area along the back of the hand about 2inchs wide to the wrist which is red and swollen. there is then a red area that goes all the way up my arm about 1inch wide along the back of my forearm to the elbow then it goes round the elbow to my bicep and carries on up into my armpit. the red area is like a rash and itches.

i have had a couple of other stings that have ended up with celulitus this year, one on my other hand one on my leg and these were over 10cm round areas of swelling and redness.

I have taken antihistamines and its still like this. any suggestions?

that will teach you not to put two fingers up to HM doug :biggrinjester:
sound like you have had a allergic reaction for a sting to travel up the arm wouldn't hurt to see doc just in case

Maybe a good idea to ask the Doc for a RAST test to quantify the severity of your reaction. Then they can decide whether to give you your own epipen, and/or sign you up for a desensitisation course.
Meanwhile, tell someone if you are stung again, and let them watch over you in case you are becoming more sensitive. And especially tell your chosen one, if/when you take multiple stings at the same time.

oh no Doug!
please remember, antihistamine work best if in the system before the sting occurs.
I always take one before inspections

that will teach you not to put two fingers up to HM doug :biggrinjester:

:leaving:cheers for that shame it was the middle 2 and not those then i would have been able to agree with you lol

one thing i will be doing is going back to my original thicker gloves to hopefully get less stings.

oh no Doug!
please remember, antihistamine work best if in the system before the sting occurs.
I always take one before inspections

had done that tony lol was still taking them from sting the week before even though it had gone down as i knew i was going to be inspecting on sat and sunday.

...the one on the tip being more painful and more swollen. the nuckles have swollen and then an area along the back of the hand about 2inchs wide to the wrist which is red and swollen. there is then a red area that goes all the way up my arm about 1inch wide along the back of my forearm to the elbow then it goes round the elbow to my bicep and carries on up into my armpit. the red area is like a rash and itches.

If you had a rose thorn in your finger I'd have said it looks like blood poisoning, and you'd need antibiotics quite quickly.

Which arm, Right or left?

Left can be dodgy, see a doc.

It is possible to get blood poisoning from a sting. I would err on the side of cautious and go to see the doc!

I've been put on antibiotics before now. Same sort of reaction sting on hand and swollen to shoulder. The red lines were the reason for the antibiotics. Still swell up but glad to say much less reaction these days. Medication can have an effect as well - not sure about how, other than nsaids are no-go for me and I get the 'ramipril cough' after getting stung.

RAB

i would strongly recommend a visit to the doctor taking into account that anti histamine has been taken and still a reaction. You could mark on your skin with a pen the outline of the inflammation thus you would know the rate of the spread.....

This works for me . I only need it when stung in sensitive places :)
The deafness will be associated with the swelling of the ear blocking the aural canal and distorting the shape of the ear lobe !

Benadryl Skin Allergy Relief Cream 42g
VM

Doc needs to see- clearly defined ('well demarcated') spreading rash a couple of days after sting could well be cellulitis

Latest posts

Back