Sting Kit for Apiary

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ice cubes!
Scraper to remove sting sac.
Piriton tablets- if they have an above norm reaction (tingling, heat, VERY itchy)

Last edited:
i tried to get an epipen for my apairy as a lot of my gf,s family are alergic to wasps and i didnt want to take the chance. the doctor said dont bother and the chemist said they cant give it to me without perscription the first aiders said id need training to administer it so they wouldnt give me one either. so i now only let them near the hives within workin hours of the doctor and when i have a car near by..... but ice and anthistimine tabs is what i have...

I carry in my kit,
1' Epipen
2' Apivent sting removal kit
3' Benadryl cream with calomine ( this works when others fail)
Antihistamines are better taken before a beekeeping session because once the mast cells have been stimulated and histamine released, it becomes a stable door situation :).

John Wilkinson

Mobile phone
Map reference of your location

especially if an out apiary

"Antihistamines are better taken before a beekeeping session because once the mast cells have been stimulated and histamine released, it becomes a stable door situation"

Is it really normal practice to take an anti-histamine tablet before you go to inspect the hive(s) every time?
Wouldn't that build up in your system and cause a reaction?
Never heard that advice before but more than happy to be informed

I think you cannot get an Epipen unless you have symptoms to need a prescription- and you have to self administer. Can be legally fraught if an untrained administers and then there are complications.
In this litigious age I am even reluctant to stop at accidents - very sad.

I currently have had the pleasure of being able to compare a wasp and a bee sting within a few days - wasps are worse! Hydrocortisone cream is good for the swelling and itching - trademarked "stopitch" in South Africa!

susieB

"Wouldn't that build up in your system and cause a reaction?"

No. prophylactic anti-histamines are routinely used by those who suffer from hayfever or those receiving blood products on regular basis and prone to reactions.

"Antihistamines are better taken before a beekeeping session because once the mast cells have been stimulated and histamine released, it becomes a stable door situation"

Is it really normal practice to take an anti-histamine tablet before you go to inspect the hive(s) every time?
Wouldn't that build up in your system and cause a reaction?
Never heard that advice before but more than happy to be informed

I asked my doc the same thing, but he pointed out that people who have hay fever take them all summer and they work fine, with no tolerance made.

Sorry, didn't see dr post

Last edited:
Remember Epipens are only for very bad reactions (if you are allergic to bees/wasps) anybody fool enough to go near a hive/nest knowing they are allergic and not suited up is asking for trouble
An epipen is only in emergancy let your head be the first,
Common sence must be your first defence
:beatdeadhorse5:

I take masking tape ( for those little gaps where the zips are ), rubber bands, anti histamine tablets, and liquid, in case the kids get stung. Hive tool can be used to remove stings ( I'm told lol, wouldn't know about that yet ) and a drink. Fully charged mobile, and I'm thinking of taking calamine with me next time. Oh, and if you need an inhaler, I'd take that too, I take mine. The school will have to seriously think about this topic.

"Wouldn't that build up in your system and cause a reaction?"

No. prophylactic anti-histamines are routinely used by those who suffer from hayfever or those receiving blood products on regular basis and prone to reactions.

I have been taking a high dose daily of anti-histamines for a few years now and I have no adverse reaction to getting a sting. Just the usual swelling and a small bit of itching. :smash:

If no child pen on site, 5 second dose of adult pen ( Life or death situation)

John Wilkinson

I use "Stop The Sting". My father-in-law teaches Beekeeping and told me about it. If used in the first five minutes it really takes the sting away fast. Works on Bees, wasps and fire ants. I then use a benadril tablet. My father in law say to take the benidril 2 hours before going into the hive.

Wish there was a spell checker on the tool bar. :)

In addition to some anti-histamine ointment, I find gin and quinine (tonic) water quite therapeutic.

Latest posts

Back