Stimulating queen's to lay when on a brood break

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curly green finger's

If you think you know all, you actually know nowt!
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Herefordshire/titterstone clee hill/ Worcestershir
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
86 + nucs/ mini nucs
Hi just trying to get some idea when queen's are on a brood break, and you start feeding or theres a honey flow. How soon have you noticed brood again.

So far I've only looked 3 days later and the Queen is laying, and the colony/s are collecting lots of water.
Your thoughts pls.
Thanks
Mark

Hi just trying to get some idea when queen's are on a brood break, and you start feeding or theres a honey flow. How soon have you noticed brood again.

So far I've only looked 3 days later and the Queen is laying, and the colony/s are collecting lots of water.
Your thoughts pls.
Thanks
Mark
Is she on a brood break because of treatment? Are you feeding fondant?

Is she on a brood break because of treatment? Are you feeding fondant?
Hi beeno.. I was asking for a general concensus on the above title.

If I've had queen's on a brood break and I've either started feeding or the honey flow has started, I've left it for three days before having a look for brood.
As I've not wanted to disturb them sooner.. Reasons I don't want to knock them back a day or two from me inspecting them.

Im on my 3rd OAV on 18 colonys and I've had 4 queen's having a brood break.
These four colonys were very light on honey stores but lots of pollen..
There's always lots of pollen up here, and we never have issues with a pollen dearth.

I have never looked in that quickly again. But do tell, if she is laying you can tell by the state of the egg upright, keeling over, or laying flat, for day 1, 2 or 3. Interesting to hear if others have found it that quick!

I have never looked in that quickly again. But do tell, if she is laying you can tell by the state of the egg upright, keeling over, or laying flat, for day 1, 2 or 3. Interesting to hear if others have found it that quick!
The same very interested to know from other beekeepers pls..
Thanks beeno.

"if she is laying you can tell by the state of the egg upright, keeling over, or laying flat, for day 1, 2 or 3"

This is a myth as anyone with an observation hive can tell you. They stay as laid until third day when they "sag" to the bottom of the cell. Eggs are also often laid at a range of angles.

"if she is laying you can tell by the state of the egg upright, keeling over, or laying flat, for day 1, 2 or 3"

This is a myth as anyone with an observation hive can tell you. They stay as laid until third day when they "sag" to the bottom of the cell. Eggs are also often laid at a range of angles.
I am usually very observant, but will recheck that one!

Unless other suspected Queen issues I usually only check 14 days later,,, sometimes 21 days...
(Day one - syrup fed and pollen powder added on tray above brood - sometimes wet pollen patty)
This is what I do when I want to promote breeding / brood production... this works for me, my climate and environment.
By working backwards I assume we are able to draw some conclusions...
Day 14 I see a lot eggs, small/mid sized larvae and some large pupa with minimal capped brood.
Day 21 sees a lot of all stages as well as heavy capped brood.
My theory is within 3 to 4 days the workers light a fire under the queens bum and clear instructions are given....
Shape up or ship out.....
Throughout our winter here I have been testing pollen substitutes and mineral infused syrup blends in an effort to increase colony numbers and health...
Just a private little exercise I have going..
Hope this helps...

What do you do with such information?
Check the written word against my observations as one does, manage my bees. Amuse myself - telling a friend that her bees swarmed either today or yesterday which I don't think she took in at all and then finding a note on her doormat from her neighbour saying that her bees swarmed that day.

Latest posts

Back