Still time to leave super on in London?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidingMullah

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi. I'm based in London, UK. I see some bees coming back with pollen and some with nothing or they might be varying nectar. I want to ask the local pros if i should leave super on as half of it is still not capped yet. I've got this on brood & half.

Thanks in advance.

u am in SE london and i don't see my supers filling up much anymore, so i just placed clearer boards yesterday and consolidated end brood frames above QE, to also extract these to make space for queen to lay winter brood

I’m in West London and am not really seeing any filling and capping at the minute. I extracted from one hive yesterday where the frames where either fully or about two thirds capped. Tested the uncapped with a refractometer and it was about 18% water so fine. Going to extract the other hive I’ve got with supers very soon and start feeding and treating. If you’re near one of the rivers with plenty of Himalayan Balsam and willow herb then you may have a bit of a flow left. I was cycling alongside the River Crane last week and it was chocker with HB.

Yep, it's pretty much over unless you're near HB or RWB. Looked at some HB yesterday and though bees were foraging it was beginning to go to seed; the riverlet in which it grew had dried up.

I'm not taking honey off yet for the entirely practical reason that I want a week off for the first time since March, the admin lurks in the corner growling and I must repair the front of the Volvo (momentary miscalculation when in the dead zone).

When ivy flowers and if it's a strong flow - you'll know because the bees will go mad for it - no harm in putting a super on. If you do, check regularly and extract pronto because it sets very quickly. The water content is only about 73% and even if it has a little too much on the refractometer it's better in a bucket than like concrete in comb. If it sets, nadir the super and more than probably it'll be clean by February.

When ivy flowers and if it's a strong flow - you'll know because the bees will go mad for it - no harm in putting a super on. If you do, check regularly and extract pronto because it sets very quickly. The water content is only about 73% and even if it has a little too much on the refractometer it's better in a bucket than like concrete in comb.
Never had an issue with bees not coping with set iny honey to be honest, they really pile it in here but any Ivy left in early spring quickly vanishes.

I’m in West London and am not really seeing any filling and capping at the minute. I extracted from one hive yesterday where the frames where either fully or about two thirds capped. Tested the uncapped with a refractometer and it was about 18% water so fine. Going to extract the other hive I’ve got with supers very soon and start feeding and treating. If you’re near one of the rivers with plenty of Himalayan Balsam and willow herb then you may have a bit of a flow left. I was cycling alongside the River Crane last week and it was chocker with HB.
Ah I used to walk along the Crane with the dog many moons ago.

Whilst not London I live on the outskirts of Solihull. We are the last housing estate then Country side with a small stream nearby with HB in flower. There is definitely a flow on here. My bees are also on the extra floral nectaries of cherry laurel, in fact not sure they have got to the HB yet.

Last edited:
u am in SE london and i don't see my supers filling up much anymore, so i just placed clearer boards yesterday and consolidated end brood frames above QE, to also extract these to make space for queen to lay winter brood
We extracted in 1st week of June, 8 supers, and they are still making honey so defendant on weather will do another in a few weeks, Hives in SE16 chalk wildflower meadow

We extracted in 1st week of June, 8 supers, and they are still making honey so defendant on weather will do another in a few weeks, Hives in SE16 chalk wildflower meadow
Dependent not defendant!

The latest I removed a super of honey, IIRC, was in (late-ish?) November. Several years ago and the bees were happily foraging on Christmas eve that year, with only a very few days of relative inactivity in that month.

I don’t, of course, live in London - not as though it might make much difference.

Latest posts

Back