sticky paper

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sahtlinurk

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi,

planning here to build mesh floors for my hives and was thinking what can i use underneath the mesh as sticky paper? first thing in my head was a fly paper but does it have any chemicals but glue on it which may cause dangerous fumes ?
any other ideas? floors will be drawer type so can be cleaned and inspected and if necessary removed for better ventilation.

Lauri

Fly paper has cyanide in it.... or at least it used to:ack2:

You can use cooking oil on the drawer as well.

In Victorian times they contained Arsenic.

People, particularly women, used to boil 'em to extract it - then knock off the old man for the insurance money.

Watch out for beekeepers dropping like flies this week!!

John

Why sticky paper?
Mites fall through the mesh - lose the food larder so die- but stray bees may crawl through - and get stuck too.
I just use white fablon on a board - with the hive debris there is enough natural crud without you adding to it-
Easy to count mites against the white too - and easily wiped over for the next count.

Using your system,won't some of the mites just dust themselves off and climb back up to the larder Heather? I thought that is why people use sticky boards, or alternatively put a thick smear of Vaseline around the outside of their boards to act as a no go zone for mites, so they can't escape the board???

There are advantages to sticky paper I have found that with the monitoring board in I was not getting a true reading of mite drop because I found that ants and small red spiders where using the board as a food source, on more than one occasion I saw food trophies being born away by these preditors so I now where possible tend to use something sticky be it vasilene or whatever to get a true count

A slick of cooking oil?

Poly has super fly-paper, but I don't think it's cyanide. With regulations as they are today, it's likely that most may just be very sticky paper or contain another more recent insecticide to stop the paper dancing from the ceiling.

When guessing and answer, express any doubt that you may have. That way no one gets mislead because they check further. An absolute answer that is wrong is misleading.
Take care out there, lots of impressionable people believe what they read.

as someone how has an awlfull lot of knowledge about poisons and chemicals for usage. you will be supprizeds to know that i would struggle to find any thing with cyanide or arsnic in it as an ingreediant, try looking for permethirne, its safer has less side affects and is easier to use, it is allmost impossible to sell anything to the general muppetness with any sort of chemical in it let alone one which is toxic,

A slick of cooking oil?

Poly has super fly-paper, but I don't think it's cyanide. With regulations as they are today, it's likely that most may just be very sticky paper or contain another more recent insecticide to stop the paper dancing from the ceiling.

When guessing and answer, express any doubt that you may have. That way no one gets mislead because they check further. An absolute answer that is wrong is misleading.
Take care out there, lots of impressionable people believe what they read.

Did I say a slick of cooking oil? no. Cooking oil can be wiped over the drawer base.
You have had a go at peoples answers to the question yet you havnt offered an answer yourself :confused:

Sorry Veg, you misunderstood me. I was questioning myself and hadn't seen your answer previously. I don't know how I missed it, but did.

I believed the slick of cooking oil to be a perfectly valid answer, easier than vaseline, but was uncertain and was therefore expressing doubt as my confidence was high but not 100%.
Had my answer preceded yours, then I would have accepted your answer as confirmation that I was indeed on the right track.

Poly stated that flypaper contained, or used to contain cyanide. No expression of doubt, statement of fact but patently wrong and corrected by HP.

Ironic that my own post should therefore have been misleading in it's own right. Apparently it's all in the timing. :grouphug:

I have read a lot about varroa controlling but I have not seen recommendations to use sticky paper or vaselin during last 10 years. It was 20 years ago.

Contamination of mites are estimated from natural dead rate of mites.

Last edited:
very true finman, but what i am saying is with a sheet of white paper smeared with vasiline, makes the might and debre count alot easier to do, and if anyone else wants to do thier might count an easier way please let me know because i can collet my sheets in the bee shed and hold them under my magnifying glass and see clearly what i am dealing with, the weay i was shown was to stick a piece of news paper under the mesh hope what fell in stayed in , including when it was removed and wrapped up , stuffed in a pocket and driven home and then looked at,

so sorry but as per the statement in many of my videos " I AM DOING IT THE EASY WAY, YOUR NOT"

Using your system,won't some of the mites just dust themselves off and climb back up to the larder Heather? I thought that is why people use sticky boards, or alternatively put a thick smear of Vaseline around the outside of their boards to act as a no go zone for mites, so they can't escape the board???

Seems to work for me -I can do count easily as I draw 4 lines down 4 across and any mites are easily seen. As there is about 1" gap between the mesh and the removable board the mites do not get back up. I have very little varroa in my hives - and have yet to see any in drone brood checks this year- so am happy with white fablon - and no sticky mess to clean up- wipe with damp cloth shifts all debris.:cheers2:

Latest posts

Back