Sterilised bees wax

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a discussion not dictatorship Have you ever seen bee Recycling wax

Yes we are having a discussion and i as yet you have not identified any disease that this sterile wax would prevent.

Pete i am just going to rub some more amitraz on toast and the mrs says i have been pressing the wrong button for years

Last edited:
Yes we are having a discussion and i as yet you have not identified any disease that this sterile wax would prevent.

Pete i am just going to rub some more amitraz on toast and the mrs says i have been pressing the wrong button for years

Have a read through the previous posts

National Bee Supplies are launching sterilised foundation and there's a short video on their website showing the process. It seems a good idea generally speaking...

:beatdeadhorse5:"A healthy hive means healthy bees. Using our sterilized wax, that has been warmed to a temperature to ensure all known pathogens have been killed and spores of AFB, EFB and Nosema have been eradicated, means you can rest safe in the knowledge that your bees start the season drawing their combs in foundations made of the purest wax."

Thats taken from their site the point is its just BS........there is no evidence that afb and the like can be transmited by foundation

Stiffy he means when bees move it or maybe chew the stuff is my guess

and just to clarify bs does not stand for british standard:icon_bs: Nor will heating it remove any chemical residues

:beatdeadhorse5:"A healthy hive means healthy bees. Using our sterilized wax, that has been warmed to a temperature to ensure all known pathogens have been killed and spores of AFB, EFB and Nosema have been eradicated, means you can rest safe in the knowledge that your bees start the season drawing their combs in foundations made of the purest wax."

Thats taken from their site the point is its just BS........there is no evidence that afb and the like can be transmited by foundation

Stiffy he means when bees move it or maybe chew the stuff is my guess

Thank you

National Bee Supplies are launching sterilised foundation and there's a short video on their website showing the process. It seems a good idea generally speaking...

Spot on I’m going that way

I’m going to do some more research, and come back With what I find

beeswax has a flashpoint of 204 degrees C, wonder what temperature you need to heat it to kill AFB? I read somewhere it has to be kept at a temperature of over 160 for half an hour!! I can't imagine the state of the wax after all that.
By what I've seen of the prices NBS charge for most things - this looks like another ploy to separate the gullible from even more of their hard earned.

Nosema spores die in 49C . Bee wax melting point is 64C.

Such advertising.

Last edited:
Nosema spores die in 49C . Wax melting point is 64C.

Such advertising.

This is a strange chain. How it started and how it got " a right answer" in serious issue.

And question is about AFB. If sterilation helps, why it has not been in AFB legistation.

Mr C without wishing to start an argument i will eat my hat if you can find any links to foundation normally processded and the spread of brood diseases. You may also wish to check out gov web sites in NZ and Aus re control/spread of foul brood. This question has come up before and you are not the first, I go back to a previous post and suggest they have a cure for a non issue. I would think that a large company like nbs would have some report to back up the temps they are using but as others have said 160c is quoted in a couple of papers i have seen as well. So at best they are a little on the light side!!
As i said before heating wax to the best of my knowledge will not remove any chemicals, in regards to imports i would guess that imported wax gets far more checks/ regulation than me or any other dropping it at the spring convention.
So the choice is yours, some suppliers offer uk wax others both or simply you could make your own if its a major concern.

I still have some concern about the poncey on vogue beeswax wraps for placing sandwiches in...... never used clingfilm as it makes the bread soggy when the cucumber juices leak into it!

I am more concerned with foreign honey contaminated with AFB spores being left out for the bees to lick.....

Bees are starving after all!!

Q save the honey bee.jpeg

:calmdown:

Last edited:
Not saying its true, but is there a need to allay (probably unfounded) fears of brood disease as they are purchasing bulk wax from ??????
S

Not saying its true, but is there a need to allay (probably unfounded) fears of brood disease as they are purchasing bulk wax from ??????
S

Often wondered about that meself...... all of my wax goes into polishes... worth as much or more than as honey pound for pound!

:calmdown:

Latest posts

Back