Sterilised bees wax

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr C

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Must be a good thing for bee wot do you think

The uk had been Selling contaminated wax for a long time We Even import wax from around the world

I would have thought when it is melted and cleaned it kills the pathogens,it's all the other contaminants that I would worry about.Heavy metals ,pesticides ,Paraffin wax and the like.

Must be a good thing for bee wot do you think

Maisies assure us that their foundation is manufactured in house from English beeswax and is steralised.... other manufacturers now seem to be following suit.

Concern would be American Foul Brood spores contaminating wax... Chinese wax was once ( hearsay) to be contaminated with Chloramphenacol... a rather nasty antibiotic that can cause haemolytic anemia in even small quantities..... and Danish / Dutch foundation was reported as contaminated with microcrystalline synthetic wax products.

I wonder about these "new fad" beeswax wraps.... I would not want any impurities. heavy metals etc etc contaminating my sandwhiches!

:calmdown:

I dont think theres ever been a case of afb linked to foundation, its a none issue. If it was we would all have had a dose by now. My understanding and am happy to be corrected is that melting of wax may be enough to kill the likes of nosema but for afb you would have to cook the stuff, am sure someone will be along with the correct temps.
Would be interesting to ask how! maismore are doing the job. I wonder if the uv type lighting for high end fish pond filtration or dry ager for meat would have an effect although i think that use is bacteria only

Looks like a new method is to hold it at 120 for 40 minutes And I’m sure not everyone is important wax from all over the world

so what does the 120c achieve and what new method is this. Most the temps i can find say 160c for killing afb. Is it a new method for a non existant issue.

But you still have not told us why we need sterile wax for foundation

so what does the 120c achieve and what new method is this. Most the temps i can find say 160c for killing afb. Is it a new method for a non existant issue.

Okay I might be wrong with temperature At lest people are trying to do the best for the for our British honeybees That must be a good thing
A non-existing issue 🙈 Buying stuff from abroad it’s probably got us in the mess were in with bees

I’m not sure how often beeswax is probably tested to see what’s in it

Maisies assure us that their foundation is manufactured in house from English beeswax and is steralised.... other manufacturers now seem to be following suit.

Concern would be American Foul Brood spores contaminating wax... Chinese wax was once ( hearsay) to be contaminated with Chloramphenacol... a rather nasty antibiotic that can cause haemolytic anemia in even small quantities..... and Danish / Dutch foundation was reported as contaminated with microcrystalline synthetic wax products.

I wonder about these "new fad" beeswax wraps.... I would not want any impurities. heavy metals etc etc contaminating my sandwhiches!

:calmdown:

Beeswax wraps i’m happy to use rather than using plastic But yes how often is it tested

But you still have not told us why we need sterile wax for foundation

This is a discussion not dictatorship Have you ever seen bee Recycling wax

Okay I might be wrong with temperature At lest people are trying to do the best for the for our British honeybees That must be a good thing
A non-existing issue Buying stuff from abroad it’s probably got us in the mess were in with bees

I’m not sure how often beeswax is probably tested to see what’s in it

There are so long experience about wax foundations, that AFB does not transmit via foundations.

It is same with other countries. They do not have problems with foundation wax AFB.

Back