Sterile Robinia?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilberdyke John

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I planted a small Robinia (Black Locust) tree some years ago. It took a year or so to consider if it felt happy in its surroundings then it began to grow. Two years later a strong wind snapped off a top branch but it survived that ordeal. Last year frost killed the young buds but as the year improved new buds formed and it sprang into leaf. This year it's growing strongly but not a single flower has formed in all the years its been here.
I'm wondering if it's barren and I ought to don armour against the thorns and cut it down or give it another chance? I was really hoping to boost production with some Black Locust in my honey (which was the motivation in planting it).

We have planted a copper coloured one which has been in for three years but this is the first year it has grown decently. It appears to be thornless!. There is a massive green one in a neighbour's garden which the bees love. I reckon they may have to be some age to flower.

Robinia is .. robinia. Light spring frost scorch buds before they really are open.. So, that may seems to you that there are no flowering.. Due to climate changes it become irregular crop, before.. it was always bumper crop.. Since I beekeep still never had two seasons in a row with decent robinia flow.. But when it hits, at right spot it can give 25-45kg per colony at my place.. But crucial for robinia is to have strong colonies to manage in short time to get it into comb ( in some days scales can show plus per day 8-12kg). I always say, give me just 7 days of decent weather in robinia flow, but even that is rare nowadays..
Nice robinia flow is something special to me, not just financially in every other aspect.. Robinia honey isn't my favorite honey, I like more spring multifloral ( fruit flavor), summer multifloral+honeydew ( "cappuccino" flavor). I heard some use robinia to increase income by mixing it with more expensive honey and label it as that expensive honey, cause robinia has light color ( in some years it can be almost color of water) and neutral taste..
If You are nearer, I can give You for free zillion seedlings.. cause here it is a weed..
Just as trivia, these days husks of robinia are opening ( You can hear light crackings in robinia trees).

Robinia is .. robinia. Light spring frost scorch buds before they really are open.. So, that may seems to you that there are no flowering.. Due to climate changes it become irregular crop, before.. it was always bumper crop.. Since I beekeep still never had two seasons in a row with decent robinia flow.. But when it hits, at right spot it can give 25-45kg per colony at my place.. But crucial for robinia is to have strong colonies to manage in short time to get it into comb ( in some days scales can show plus per day 8-12kg). I always say, give me just 7 days of decent weather in robinia flow, but even that is rare nowadays..
Nice robinia flow is something special to me, not just financially in every other aspect.. Robinia honey isn't my favorite honey, I like more spring multifloral ( fruit flavor), summer multifloral+honeydew ( "cappuccino" flavor). I heard some use robinia to increase income by mixing it with more expensive honey and label it as that expensive honey, cause robinia has light color ( in some years it can be almost color of water) and neutral taste..
If You are nearer, I can give You for free zillion seedlings.. cause here it is a weed..
Just as trivia, these days husks of robinia are opening ( You can hear light crackings in robinia trees).
Thanks Goran. We have one large tree near us. Wish we had a forest of it. Interesting write up though😄

Latest posts

Back