Steam wax melter?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbeeneil

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
40 plus 23 that I maintain for clients.
Has anyone got plans or details of a wax melter driven by a wallpaper steamer?

No,

If you are going down the steam route, have you considered a steam cleaner? Although more bulky it may be better at "injecting" the steam to where it is needed.

I too am looking at options to process some wax.

I don't like the idea of repeatedly melting on the cooker, so was thinking of some way of mimicking the 1 shot process of the solar extractors.

I am thinking of getting an old air fryer, drilling a little drainage hole in the base.

I figure, I can put a filter in the bottom of the fryer, and a bowl of water underneath to catch the wax.

Or, I may wait until next year and build a solar one.

I used an old thin ply nuc box that was to hand, with inspiration from here:

Steam wax extractor - The Apiarist

Thicker ply would be recommended as mentioned as it easily warps after a few sessions :oops: The steamer was relatively cheap from Screwfix. All worked fine and easily did 6 frames in 30 minutes or so IIRC which was the runtime of the steamer water container. Top tip: keep the steamer water container level else it won't cut-off when empty 😊

I made one out of an old pine brood box I had lying around... it worked but the lessons learned:

1. Pine warps like mad when subjected to excessive steam .. the joints come apart if they are just glued and even nails get prised apart.
2. Steam wallpaper extractors produce a lot of steam .. the excess steam needs an escape route.
3. Ideally the steam needs injecting at the bottom and beneath a solid tray of some sort .. directly on to the wax it is too hot.
4. It takes very little time to melt wax with the heat of steam ... minutes - you really can't leave it unattended.
5. Steam causes really bad burns when you get in front of it (I still have the scar on my arm).
6. You can't have a glass lid with a steam extractor - the glass cracks
7. Don't use celotex etc. as a lid .. the steam will warp an destroy it.
8. OSB doesn't work either - the steam warps it in no time.
9. Metal sheets above steam get very hot ...

To be honest ... the amount of steam from a wallpaper steamer (unless you could regulate the heating element some way) is far too much and it's creates a lot of pressure. If you go the steam route the DIY may not be the answer - or if you do - have a look at some of the professional wax melters and see how they work.,

You might consider piping the steam through a series of copper pipes beneath the tray you are putting the wax on as the heat from the steam in the pipes would be enough to melt the wax but would be a whole lot gentler .. overheating wax turns it brown.

My solar wax melter does the job for me in summer and in the winter I cleanse the wax with a a couple of stainless stock pots that fit one inside the other. I've melted down cappings with these but with brood frames you get so much slumgum that it's really best in solar wax melter.

Whatever you do be very careful with steam ... not something to be messed with.

I made one from an old upright Fridge / Freezer. Obviously just in the top bit (old fridge) bit.

Rip out all the guts.
Take door off. Get some latches (like the hive latches) as the heat will warp and bend the hinges.
Take out the inner plastic liner of the fridge. Again, this will warp. If you can't do this, then run the steamer, and it will warp it enough to pull out. Behind this is the insulation, that can handle the heat.

Drill 20mm hole in side, and push the wallpaper steamer pipe through it.

I found adding a couple of bits of wood, either side, near the top, and a metal mesh shelf over them helps. You can then hang your wax in cheese cloth (or whatever you use), from this mesh. Have a big bowl at bottom, ready to catch wax. I found it makes really pale wax, and gets alot of it.

Its not pretty, but works really well. If you want some pics, just let me know.

Thrones easi-steam might be a good starting point for inspiration. Easi-steam (all hive types available except WBC)

I had thought about purchasing one of their roofs (I think it was ~£17) in the sale along with a solid floor and brood box to attempt to make my own. The metal for the roof would make the lid and the sides could be repurposed as the bottom eke.

All you would really need then is a tray and mesh cut to size with the spout out the front and a connector for the roof.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have plenty of brood boxes and I think I'll stick some ply on the outside to give it a bit more stability to stop it warping.
Plenty to think about over winter 😀

One can use any galv steel hive roof sheet, drill a hole in the middle and fit a brass tank connector for the hose inlet.

I bought a large heavy duty rubber type dustbin from Wickes( am I allowed to say that), then drilled a hole in the lid for the steamer hose and a hole the the bottom for the melted wax to run out. All the old frames go inside then the dustbin is stood on some bricks or similar with the hole over a large bowl or bucket to catch the wax & water running out. Cheap & cheerful but works brilliantly.

I used an old redundant brood box, thick ply top and bottom cut to size, hole in the top for the steamer nozzle and a small cut out in the front of the bottom ply board to let the wax out. All the brood jackets stayed in the box so perfect for a first filter... I'm sure there are much better solutions but this worked as a first time experiment for me 😊

The Dave Cushman noted design Steam Wax Extractor maybe a useful way of doing it as well. Although the page notes that the wax will still need to be melted again as it will have water in it. It should be fairly easy to modify the design to use other sources of steam such as your wallpaper remover if you want.

Latest posts

Back