Steam wax extractor in poly hive?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickndoris

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Looking at making a steam wax extractor made from a wallpaper steam stripper and thought I would use a spare payzz 14x12 poly hive as the main body. Has anyone used a poly hive to do this and if so did it melt/damage the hive body? Maybe just plain old wood might be better?

Thanks all in advance
R

Would be if you lined it with some tin plate or ally!
I use an old National, insulated with pollystyrene.. holding the steam heat in seem s to be the answer!

Looking at making a steam wax extractor made from a wallpaper steam stripper and thought I would use a spare payzz 14x12 poly hive as the main body. Has anyone used a poly hive to do this and if so did it melt/damage the hive body? Maybe just plain old wood might be better?

Thanks all in advance
R

Yes, the Honey box seller advertise that trick.

I picked up a large cheap plastic box with a tight fitting snap on lid from a local diy store at the weekend. I've drilled a hole through one end wall to fit the steamer pad ferrule through and reattached the hose - seems to be holding the steam in lovely. Hot enough to burn hands in there but no damage to the plastic box at all.

I picked up a large cheap plastic box with a tight fitting snap on lid from a local diy store.

That is good too because your plastic hives are expencive

When you have a plastic box, you may glue over it an insulated layer. It saves heat and makes melting faster.

You may do the insulation with polyurethane foam

The spray bottle is 4 euros

That is good too because your plastic hives are expencive

When you have a plastic box, you may glue over it an insulated layer. It saves heat and makes melting faster.

You may do the insulation with polyurethane foam

The spray bottle is 4 euros

Good tip on the spray foam.....And the plastic box.........I dont think my one will be as posh as the posh one:) I do have the welder but not the stainless.

Thanks all for the advice.

R

If you get from somewhere a recycle stainless container. there are citchen machines , like dish machnines.

But 360 days in a year you must store the "rubbish". It is worth to think that too.

Steamer setup using two doors from an old fridge, two ratchet straps to seal boxes. Bottom box open mesh floor. Sorted.

Latest posts

Back