Stealth Jaspers!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosti

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Not been able to do an internal spection this w/e, weather not up to it, but I did watch the entrances. Nothing untoward, pollen coming in, some good heavy landings so nectar as well and not a wasp to be seen around the entrances.

I planned to put up some wasp traps this w/e so did so any way as a precautionary measure (or so I thought). In the time it took to open the bottle of pre-prep'd bait I had a wasp in the bottle, by the time I had finished filling and positioned the first trap I had 4 in there. Second trap wasn't so dramatic but there were still 2 in there by the time I had filled and positioned it.

Back to watch the girls a little longer (perhaps 5 mins - side tracked watching the aerobatics of some swifts about 20m in front of the hives - probably feeding on my bees!) still no sign of wasps around the entrances. A re-check of the traps showed 15-20 in each!

The little bleeders are out there and no mistake!

Not been able to do an internal spection this w/e, weather not up to it, but I did watch the entrances. Nothing untoward, pollen coming in, some good heavy landings so nectar as well and not a wasp to be seen around the entrances.

I planned to put up some wasp traps this w/e so did so any way as a precautionary measure (or so I thought). In the time it took to open the bottle of pre-prep'd bait I had a wasp in the bottle, by the time I had finished filling and positioned the first trap I had 4 in there. Second trap wasn't so dramatic but there were still 2 in there by the time I had filled and positioned it.

Back to watch the girls a little longer (perhaps 5 mins - side tracked watching the aerobatics of some swifts about 20m in front of the hives - probably feeding on my bees!) still no sign of wasps around the entrances. A re-check of the traps showed 15-20 in each!

The little bleeders are out there and no mistake!

Had the brood box open a bit ong yestereday as removing drone brood...suddendly dive bomb by about ten wasp..all disappeared into the brood...put the hive back together and as i did watched the wasp being carried out the entrance block Bee 10 wasp 0

Good, glad the bees won.....can't stand wasps. I know I have just got over my fear of bees, but I know I will NEVER grow to love wasps, they even look evil....yuck :(

time to close up the entrances a bit when we get back from hols. The two big colonies are fully open (no block at all). It is a big space to defend, but I don't much care for a wasp's chances against that lot.

Hi all, this is my first year with bees and i`m still at the stage when every spare minute i get at my smallholding i just stand there watching my bees comings and goings, whilst the misses walks away shaking her head

This week just gone is the first week i`ve noticed the odd wasp sneeking in and out with the odd one getting a good beasting by the bees for good measure, it got me feeling quite protective i may have to be on guard duty with a tennis racket lol

i can see that this beekeeping game is going to make me more wharped than i am already:leaving:

had a strange one today,2 bumble bees went into the hive couple of mins later 1 came out like a rocket and saw the other one dead on the floor inside the hive
my bees 2 - bumble bees 0

I just can't wait now.....only have to wait until Tuesday, and I have a very busy day tomorrow so that will go quickly. I will probably spend the rest of the 6 weeks holidays sat watching the bees make the site their home. Like you trapperman, I may have to get myself a tennis racket and guard the front of the hive, saying that, they seem to do a pretty good job of defending themselves if this thread is anything to go by. :boxing_smiley:

I am counting the minutes now :)

Hi all, this is my first year with bees and i`m still at the stage when every spare minute i get at my smallholding i just stand there watching my bees comings and goings, whilst the misses walks away shaking her head

This week just gone is the first week i`ve noticed the odd wasp sneeking in and out with the odd one getting a good beasting by the bees for good measure, it got me feeling quite protective i may have to be on guard duty with a tennis racket lol

i can see that this beekeeping game is going to make me more wharped than i am already:leaving:

Hey, cmon now, i thought you was the biggest wasp killer in all of oxfordshire LOL

Find the nest and whack em, end of story!

Its real busy here this year....

won't they attack you if you whack em? can't you just pour stuff on them then run away?

Hey, cmon now, i thought you was the biggest wasp killer in all of oxfordshire LOL

Find the nest and whack em, end of story!

Its real busy here this year....

I may be the biggest wasp killer in oxfordshire but thats only because i`m an ex power lifter................................. ow right i see what you mean silly me:rofl:

i dont think i can compete with you just yet i`m still just a young bud of a company but its growing steadily and your wasp control site has brought in a good bit of work plus my own website but i`m not quite at 100 nests yet, its slowed up alot with this more overcast weather.

dont tell me what your on as i wont like you anymore;)

Back