Statutory duty to report apiaries with Varroosis 🙄 from 21st April

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Next time I'm at the computer will simply look up who the Secretary of State is and email him to let him know all my hives have varroa, job done and how pointless is that. George Eustice I think. The bit not quoted above is the unlimited fine not reporting is punishable by, a bit over the top.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/contact-defra

Next time I'm at the computer will simply look up who the Secretary of State is and email him to let him know all my hives have varroa, job done and how pointless is that. George Eustice I think. The bit not quoted above is the unlimited fine not reporting is punishable by, a bit over the top.
I suspect someone never heard of the test of reasonableness or the interpretation of as soon as reasonably practicable 😎
The lawyers could be rubbing their hands with glee already 💰💰💰

" An owner or person in charge of a hive who knows that any species of the Varroa mite (Varroosis) is present within that hive "

Well I read that as an opportunity obligation to send one email per hive to Mr Eustice. I understand that there are approximatley 25,000 beekeepers in England with an average of around four hives each...

" An owner or person in charge of a hive who knows that any species of the Varroa mite (Varroosis) is present within that hive "

Well I read that as an opportunity obligation to send one email per hive to Mr Eustice. I understand that there are approximatley 25,000 beekeepers in England with an average of around four hives each...

Wouldn't it be nice if they all arrived on the same day?

Laid before Parliament 30th March 2021 Coming into force 21st April 2021
Surely that's like lightning in Parliamentary terms. Why the haste? How can these people be so out of touch with reality? And Mr Inspector will need a long ladder to check the feral colonies around here.

STATUTORY INSTRUMENTS
2021 No. 420
BEE DISEASES, ENGLAND
The Bee Diseases and Pests Control (England) (Amendment) Order 2021
Made
29th March 2021
Laid before Parliament
30th March 2021
Coming into force
21st April 2021
The Secretary of State makes the following Order in exercise of the powers conferred by section 1 of the Bees Act 1980(1).
Citation and commencement
1. This Order may be cited as the Bee Diseases and Pests Control (England) (Amendment) Order 2021 and comes into force on 21st April 2021.

Amendment to the Bee Diseases and Pests Control (England) Order 2006
2. In the Bee Diseases and Pests Control (England) Order 2006(2), after article 3 insert—

“Reporting of Varroa mite (Varroosis)
3A.—(1) An owner or person in charge of a hive who knows that any species of the Varroa mite (Varroosis) is present within that hive must give notice of that fact to the Secretary of State as soon as is practicable.

(2) Any other person who discovers in the course of his occupation the presence of the Varroa mite (Varroosis) in a hive, must give notice of that fact to the Secretary of State as soon as is practicable.

(3) A person who gives notice under this article in respect of a hive is not required to give further notices in respect of other hives at the same location.”.

Gardiner of Kimble
Parliamentary Under Secretary of State
Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
29th March 2021
How can they prove that you "know it"?

I wonder how they are going to manage the cohort of beekeepers who don’t treat for varroa and the other delusional lot who believe their bees are healthy and varroa free ?!
And the other population who’s Venn diagram probably inter links with the two groups aforementioned who think their bees died of something else not varroa possibly agri-chemicals or ley lines or solar flares but absolutely not or ever varroa

KR

S
PS I just heard that it is the bee inspectors job to report on varroa...how the heck can they expect to get around all colonies every year...!?
A. I never treat, never have treated, WHEN I would have needed it - there were no treatments, would treat if I ever HAD to , but don't.
B. How the hell can an inspector find my bees?

I gather that by making varroa a notifiable disease it keeps us in line with the EU and might make it easier for British bee keepers to export bees to the EU, however, wasn't it declassified as notifiable because just about every hive had some. I'll still be notifying the SOfS George Eustice directly, when ministers are directly involved in their policy decisions they might think more deeply about signing statutory instruements, and why the unlimited fine, just because they can?

When it comes to legislation you have to read each word and it’s overall meaning. The word (in the course of his) “Occupation” would infer that this is during the course of a business and not beekeepers who do this as a hobby. Hopefully the guidance will explain.

I gather that by making varroa a notifiable disease it keeps us in line with the EU and might make it easier for British bee keepers to export bees to the EU, however, wasn't it declassified as notifiable because just about every hive had some. I'll still be notifying the SOfS George Eustice directly, when ministers are directly involved in their policy decisions they might think more deeply about signing statutory instruements, and why the unlimited fine, just because they can?
Probably because there was no serious attempt by the Government or parliament to engage with others about the propositions they were putting forward … generally this conservative government ignores, sidelines even ridicules evidence that the policy intention that they are pursuing is mistaken. Plus of course they still have to find a way of paying for all the other brexit issues they created, and they do enjoy beating the populace with heavy stick rather than offering a carrot.

When it comes to legislation you have to read each word and it’s overall meaning. The word (in the course of his) “Occupation” would infer that this is during the course of a business and not beekeepers who do this as a hobby. Hopefully the guidance will explain.

Agree.
3a. (2).
Mentions this and it is for those who are in business, most of us beekeeping isn't an occupation so need not apply. It is simply a dot the eyes and cross the tees piece of legislation.

Mr Kimble is going to have a very busy office in the next few months then! Varroa is pretty much endemic in domestic bee colonies everywhere. Most of us control it, but it's impossible to eradicate at the moment. The two main problems are the beekeepers who chose not to treat there bees at all and wild colonies.
As for the beginning of this season; the weather has already led to me having to cancel the second dose of Apilife Var that I should have given my bees.
Maybe Mr Kimble's office will be geared up for 'running commentaries?' "Hive ten: Has varroa....no it doesn't....oh, wait a moment, yes it does! Hive eleven:.........." :willy_nilly:

Are hobby beekeepers not owners or in charge of bee hives?
3A.—(1) An owner or person in charge of a hive who knows that any species of the Varroa mite (Varroosis) is present within that hive must give notice of that fact to the Secretary of State as soon as is practicable.

Would the fact I'm busy living the rest of my life make it impracticable within the eyes of this law?

Mr Kimble is going to have a very busy office in the next few months then! Varroa is pretty much endemic in domestic bee colonies everywhere. Most of us control it, but it's impossible to eradicate at the moment. The two main problems are the beekeepers who chose not to treat there bees at all and wild colonies.
As for the beginning of this season; the weather has already led to me having to cancel the second dose of Apilife Var that I should have given my bees.
Maybe Mr Kimble's office will be geared up for 'running commentaries?' "Hive ten: Has varroa....no it doesn't....oh, wait a moment, yes it does! Hive eleven:.........." :willy_nilly:
BTW rather than Mr Kimble, it is Lord Gardiner of Kimble. You may wish to cc: him at [email protected] in your email to [email protected]

BTW rather than Mr Kimble, it is Lord Gardiner of Kimble.
Mr Kimble as far as I'm concerned, I can't believe that in this day and age people are still obsessed with obsequious forelock tugging and adulation
What used to be said in 1381?
You come into this world naked and with nothing - you go out the same way
When you first have a bath, someone does it for you, and when you leave, again someone else will bath you

Mr Kimble as far as I'm concerned, I can't believe that in this day and age people are still obsessed with obsequious forelock tugging and adulation
Unfortunately my forelock and I have long parted company.
I have no cap to doff.
Would a two fingered salute suffice?
:devilish:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back