Starting a new hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi

I am not sure if I am posting this in the correct place as I can't find a beginners section.
I am just starting out and still learning and taking in as much info as I can. I have just purchased my new National hive so I am looking for advice on my new bees that I will introduce when the time comes.
What are the chances of luring a coloney using lures or Lemon Grass oil. High or low? or should I pre book a nuc?
I quite like the idea of luring them in but wouldn't want to waste a year and have nothing arrive at all. I have seen very few Honey Bees in my area and only saw one last summer.
I would be grateful of peoples views.

Steve

Joining your local beekeeping assoc. is a good idea, they usually have a swarm co-ordinator and friendly beeks who can help you in your search. They also (mostly) provide a mentoring service. Lures can work but if you don't have many beekeepers in your immediate vicinity then chances are nothin will come of it.

Good luck with it.

:welcome:
Swarm lures didn't really work for me as there are no beekeepers near.
This forum's a great place for advice and support :)

Best bet is a nuc of local bees that are a good strain, by all means try a swarm box with a few drops of lemon grass oil as high as you can get it, some beeks wait years until a swarm arrives

some beeks wait years until a swarm arrives

And then three arrive one after the other! Just can't rely on it happening when you want it to.

Chances are enhanced by having some old comb in the hive. There are threads on here discussing how best to attract swarms. Will put up a link if/when I have time later, if nobody beats me to it.

Join your local association and get in touch with your local beek. He will most likely be willing to let you have a swarm for free (or a small cost) when they get going. I'm told Swarms arent the best way to get started but they are cheap so nothing lost if you later decide it's not for you.

What are the chances of luring a coloney using lures or Lemon Grass oil. High or low?
I quite like the idea of luring them in but wouldn't want to waste a year and have nothing arrive at all.

Hi Steve - as others have said, it's a highly unpredictable business. It has less to do with what you put out to attract them, and rather more to do with whether they are out there looking for a new home in the first place - if they're out there, then almost anything will do - old comb (if you can beg some), lemon grass oil, natural (and expensive) pheromones etc .

Swarms are indeed free, but yes - it's easy to waste a year of your life trying to save a few quid.

Last year was dire, with a lot of people complaining about difficulty in natural re-queening due to the weather. My guess is that there will have been a lot of colonies lost, and thus the number of swarms will be low this year. But of course I could be wrong.

LJ

Joining your local beekeeping assoc. is a good idea, they usually have a swarm co-ordinator and friendly beeks who can help you in your search. They also (mostly) provide a mentoring service. Lures can work but if you don't have many beekeepers in your immediate vicinity then chances are nothin will come of it.

:iagree:
Find and join your association.
Get on the swarm list asap. Some areas give priority to beginners in allocating bees. Others it is simply a matter of order on the list.

A swarm should be free (or travel cost at most).
It gets you a colony to start learning beekeeping with.
Total pot luck as to what you get - but that isn't necessarily a bad thing!
Later in the season there is more chance of getting the offer of a better (but surplus) queen to improve (or tame) the colony.

A swarm 'taken' by an experienced beekeeper and passed on to you is a much more likely possibility than 'luring' one in - especially to a new hive (they prefer used to new!) and in an area without many bees at present.

Personally, I suspect that because of last years bad season, small starter colonies will be sold for a high price this spring.
To learn about the hobby/craft/addiction you don't need to pay a high price.
But you need to get 'up the queue' to adopt a swarm.

One hive isn't really enough.
It isn't 'sustainable' against fate and beekeeper error.
Particularly until you have more than one colony (thus spare bees and eggs, oh and plenty spare kit) you will need to have "friends that can help" -- and you'll find them at your local association. Get in there immediately!

Steve: Best advice is to go on a course and learn about beekeeping and get lots of hands on practical experience with other beekeepers manipulating bees before you get your own bees. This can be provided by Northants BKA . Go to www.northantsbees.org.uk

I totally endorse joinign your local assoc and going on a course ( most of which are about now). In our assoc, all who complete the practical part are gauranteed to be given a nucleus colony ( date not guaranteed however). They will be from caught swarms or donated splits, and allowed to settle and build and judged to be of suitable temperament for a beginner to handle, before being given. Some of course choose not to wait and buy in their own.

You are likely to get lots of ongoing help and support also.

Thank you for all your coments and input. I will read them all and the links that have been kindley added.
I have pre ordered a nuc from a local Beek as I think that is better and I will know what im getting

Thanks again
Steve

You say that you have pre-ordered a nuc from a local beekeeper.

I would strongly suggest that you ask if you could have a look at his bees when he is inspecting. This will give you a good idea of the temperament of the bees you may be getting off him. You will want nice friendly bees, not nasty ones that will ping, sting, and follow you.

Good luck, and welcome

Latest posts

Back