Starter book recommendations?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

limavady

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Good day members. This is my first post. I am very keen to get started in bee keeping and would appreciate your recommendations for a book that would be informative for someone wishing to get started in this fascinating hobby. I have no equipment yet but i want to do some reading and acquire some basic knowledge before taking the plunge. Was involved forty years ago as a boy when my late father kept some hives and I used to help him (more likely getting in his way). Look forward to being a member of the forum and learning from those who know and are willing to share their knowledge with a beginner.

Hello Limavady, welcome to the forum!

Don't rush to buy this particular book, purely on my recommendation, there may be others along later, who might make a better suggestion, but I got myself a copy of "A Guide to Bees and Honey" by Ted Hooper, a few years ago.

I still refer to it, and it's a good, general, read, in my view - it's ISBN is 0-7137-2244-4, published by Blandford.

You might find a decent, secondhand copy, if you quiz the Internet, of course, always worth a try, or try your local library.

John

Hello limavady,welcome to the forum.

I always recomend Ted Hooper,Guide to Bees and Honey.

ISBN-10: 1899296042

£12.99 collect in store from w.h.smith

or £9.65 from Fleabay if you are fast: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GUIDE-TO-BEES-AND-HONEY-TED-HOOPER-NEW-P-BACK_W0QQitemZ310149586812QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Books_NonFictionBooks_NonFictionBooks_SM?hash=item48365b1f7c&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1683|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

EDIT: Sorry Planbee you posted while I was typing.

hi Limavady welcome.

another vote for ted hooper, I'm currently about 1/2 way through it and it is cram packed full of good info.

In addition to the Hooper book I'd recommend "Teach Yourself Beekeeping" (ISBN 0340925639) by Adrian Waring. Up-to-date and a very good read.

D.

im currently reading bees at the bottom of the garden by alan campion

duh looks like i should be reading ted hooper:) :)

i have been known to rant a little on the subject of books so look for for the search option and follow that, but the brief is , no never ever buy a bee book you have not already read, get them from the library either instock or the inter library lending scheme, books costs lots of money a library book costs 60p, and as for a recomondation try clive de buryn's practical beekeeping,

beware of an american books

As I posted again today on another thread, beware American info as it is just not transferable directly to the UK.

Books?

Ted Hooper was my first bible, and yes it will stretch you a bit but that's a good thing.

PH

Back