Start up grants

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Appinpiper

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
TBH
Number of Hives
I have heard that there are grants all be it small ones, that are available from the Welsh Assembly. Has any one further information on this?bee-smillie

Maybe the Welsh Assembly has? ;-)

If you mean for beekeeping, I haven't heard anything and SWMBO was the Welsh Assembly Government officer for bees and still in regular touch with her successor.
If there are and she hasn't told be I shall be very miffed - I can see a beating in the offing when she comes home tonight :eek:
luckily I don't bruise so easily these days, must be getting used to it! :biggrinjester:
She's in a meeting at the moment so i'll ask her to check tomorrow

Last edited:
I am aware that there are small (minute) grants available in Wales for turning fields in to meadows but the hoops you have to jump through and the (size) scale at which it has to be done outweighs any benefit you would get from a grant.

PM sent, we recently reserched this and yes there's "money" available from several agencies.

Russ

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Russel , perhaps you would be kind enough to point me to these agencies and I will investigate further.
Roger

Mrs J has emailed the Assembly bee officer, hopefully she'll have an answer tomorrow - the other agencies souds interesting - if you could let me know about them too i'd be grateful Russel
Emyr

No prob's could you pm me your junk email addy not your main one?

Russ

No prob's could you pm me your junk email addy not your main one?

Russ

Sent from hivenhoe now delete email addy in post 12 before a bot gets it.

It's not a conclusive list but a starter, I will have more soon.

Russ

Last edited:
Just had an email from the assembly bee officer - the Welsh government are not involved in any Beekeeping start up (or otherwise) grants at the moment and as far as she knows there are no initiatives from the NBU either - her boss has gone to a meeting up in York today - if there is any news she'll let me know

They may not have any "start up" grants but they have an "involvement" in the £2.5 m Forgotten Landscapes scheme funded by the Heritage Lottery, not sure if there are any similar schemes run in your area.
The NBG of Wales may be a source of info, as will your local council, uni, businesses etc.
We have only concentrated locally but I'll get Peter to cast his net a little further???

Russ

Thanks for taking the time in this matter I appreciate what you are doing . I am still asking and looking to see if anything is available and will let you know if I hear anything positive.:cool:

Under the Forgotten Landscapes scheme any of our members ( but restricted to newbies that attended this years beginners course) living in the designated area was were entitled to a free "starter pack", bees hive etc. Will find out fuller details later.

New beekeepers living in the Snowdonia National Park and who have been on an accredited beekeeping course, can apply to the Snowdonia National Park Authority for a new beehive, under the Buzz Eryri Grant Scheme.

Latest posts

Back