Stacked macro shot

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why stacked, JDee? What does that achieve –*definition?

Also, where are you in Mayo, as I may have to look you up next time I'm in Ballyhaunis.

Why stacked, JDee? What does that achieve –*definition?
Focus staking is where multiple images all with slightly different focus distances are combined to produce an image with much large depth of field than would otherwise be possible. In short it lets you get a bight, large aperture, macro image with large depth of filed.

Good work jdee! Which lens and body are you using?

Thanks Civ101 - better explanation that I would have come up with :)

The camera bosy is a Canon 1D MKIII (an expensieve divorce present!) and a Sigma 100mm macro lens with a cheap lens ring flash. Have to be honest no one was more surprised then me to see the way it came out - am pleased with it. Probably going to enter it into the Honey Show at Gormanston this year.

psafloyd - funny enough I live just outside Ballyhaunis on the Logboy road.

It's a good shot but if I may make a suggestion, if you want a real prize winning shot you need to make it look more natural. Apart from the tatty wings and body hair all over the place could you not pose the bee either on a stem, a bit of comb or ideally a flower? At the moment it is just a good shot of a dead bee.

It may not last long enough for all the shots before it warms up but chilling a live bee in a 'fridge might slow it down for a while. I have also seen carbon dioxide puffed at butterflies to chill them long enough for photography. Carbon dioxide can also be used to send them to sleep but again I am not sure they would stay asleep long enough unless you had everything inside something like a polythene bag fixed to the front of the lens/ring flash with the bee and any props inside the bag.

point taken but it was never meant to be a natural photograph - you would never get the definition that is visible in this photo then you would on a normal single macro shot. There are far more better photos then mine of bees on flowers etc I just wanted to get an image that showed the sort of definition that you can see. ~As for tatty wings and hair all over the place I have yet to see bees queuing up in beauty parlours getting a hair do etc;)

All joking aside that bee was gassed literally two minutes before I started the photographic process. The image was taken mainly to show school children the anatomy of a drone bee so that may get a better understanding of how bees look close up.

psafloyd - funny enough I live just outside Ballyhaunis on the Logboy road.

Thanks, Civ101. And jaded, I have family out at (what I know as) Patten's Park just outside, so I will have to look you up when I am over next.

Focus staking is where multiple images all with slightly different focus distances are combined to produce an image with much large depth of field than would otherwise be possible. In short it lets you get a bight, large aperture, macro image with large depth of filed.

Good work jdee! Which lens and body are you using?

ah, great explanation, that's why so much is in focus, brilliant

Amazing enough the first picture one first prize at the National Irish Honey Show - well pleased!

Latest posts

Back