spring varroa treatment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlisonCoughtrie

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
this is my first year of beekeeping. my bees cane through the winter very strongly. unfortunately I now seem to have varroa. what us best to treat at this time of year? it us really cold here still.
thanks

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Where in GB are you?
How cold is it?
How much varroa have the bees got?
OAV can be done if temps are above 4 degrees? I think it might be 7 though. It’s one or the other.
With brood you will have to do it three or four times.
You can use Apitraz strips if the bees are active in the hive as bee movement spreads the Amitraz but the treatment takes six weeks so depends if you might be supering before then

You can use Apitraz strips if the bees are active in the hive as bee movement spreads the Amitraz but the treatment takes six weeks so depends if you might be supering before then

I'd go along with the Apitraz or Apivar strips (same thing different name).
Easy peasy...2 per brood box. Worry about sorting the varroa and bees out and less about the honey....just eat any you get for yourselves if there is a flow on.

thanks for that. as it's my first year I'm not expecting huge honey harvests anyway. I'm planning to do an inspection on Sunday when the forecast says it will be 14 degrees here in east of Scotland. I'll put the strips on then.
regards Alison

If you go into your settings Alison and change GB to say Dundee or Stonehaven it helps with advice as we have people from all over so what is right for Kent is rubbish for Orkney. :)

PH

thanks. where do I find settings?

thanks. where do I find settings?

Click on user CP ...which is on the top and to the left of the main page, then click on edit your details, again on the top left hand side, in the box at the top you will then see where to put your location, when done, scroll to the bottom of that same page and click on ...save changes.

I can't see co or details. do i need to have the paid version or the computer version?

this time of year, I would consider shook swarm in a couple of weeks. no chemical, clean new comb. finman will be here soon to tell me off. you can reuse the original comb after freezing.

If you do a bailey comb change does that not cut out varroa as well as its a complete comb change or do the emerging bees reinfect the hive in the process? Ive got to replace my foundation and frames as very old but i also plan to split my very full hive and have 2 uk bred buckfasts ordered for may. If i shook swarm i loose alot of bees right about the time im due to split, think a bailey is a better choice than shook. What do you all think?

If you do a bailey comb change does that not cut out varroa as well as its a complete comb change or do the emerging bees reinfect the hive in the process? Ive got to replace my foundation and frames as very old but i also plan to split my very full hive and have 2 uk bred buckfasts ordered for may. If i shook swarm i loose alot of bees right about the time im due to split, think a bailey is a better choice than shook. What do you all think?

A bailey has no effect on varroa
The mites just jump off the nurse bees into any cell about to be capped; old and new

Latest posts

Back