Spring oxalic trickle and supers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willardx

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi there. I have a colony which has struggled and has just requeened and I thought I would use brood less opportunity to do an oxalic trickle. It had half a super on which I have removed. How long do I need to keep the super off. I am thinking a few weeks should do it?

Should have vaped and then one could have replaced super after 20/30 mins or so once the vapes had reformed as crystals.

Hi there. I have a colony which has struggled and has just requeened and I thought I would use brood less opportunity to do an oxalic trickle. It had half a super on which I have removed. How long do I need to keep the super off. I am thinking a few weeks should do it?
I’m sure you can put it back now if it has food for them. They will eat it before they ever fill it with honey for you.

Was the super on when you trickled? If not I see no reason not to put it back on but you may have missed some mites on the bees in the super if they were in it when you took it off. If you trickled the super as well as the brood then what do you hope to achieve by taking it off and leaving it away?

Last edited:
Was the super on when you trickled? If not I see no reason not to put it back on but you may have missed some mites on the bees in the super if they were in it when you took it off. If you trickled the super as well as the brood then what do you hope to achieve by taking it off and leaving it away?
I would have thought that the OP would have either cleared the super before taking it off or brushed the frames off before trickling the brood box. Not a good idea to trickle OA into a honey super ...

Personally, whilst OA trickling works, I'm not convinced that it is a particularly bee friendly treatment. The bees spread the OA by cleaning up the sugar syrup and I can't see how they manage not to ingest some of the dissolved OA - how can they avoid it and what effect does it have on them ?

Hi all. Yes I shook bees out of the honey super first! The super was not on when I trickled. I understand vaping is better. My question really is how long before the residue of the oa is metabolised enough to ensure my honey super (which has been removed) is not at risk of contamination.

Hi all. Yes I shook bees out of the honey super first! The super was not on when I trickled. I understand vaping is better. My question really is how long before the residue of the oa is metabolised enough to ensure my honey super (which has been removed) is not at risk of contamination.
If it’s needed put it on straight away. Oxalic acid is a normal constituent of honey. How many grams of oxalic was in the trickle? How many grams of honey are there in a full super?

It's something that happens when you get to a certain age
My bladder is still good order albeit after a rebore some 20 years ago (same with haemorrhoids actually). But that is another story. So how old do you have to be to piddle about dribbling oxalic pray?

Reactions: mbc
It wasn't so long ago people were liberally squirting hive clean (aka dribble -) over their brood frames while supers were on.
No ill effects reported🤔

Back