Spring is Sprung!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
0 - Now in beeless retirement!
Words such as "mild" and "moist" come to mind to describe the weather down here at the moment. However, Nature seems to like it as I saw my first Hazel catkins today in a hedge (I assume they were but will need to go back on foot to check) plus, the first pair of frogs are in the pond doing what pairs of frogs do at this time year. And, there was a bee flying at 15:45, well past winter bedtime.

Sorry, but I have another 2" of snow falling that says Winter is not over yet :) however, the weather forecast for the new few days does seem to show things warming up even up here.

One of my hives was bringing back dark orange pollen (gorse?) a couple of days ago so hopefully the worst is over.

My wife tells me it was snowing in Wiltshire this morning..

I am not at home and is 25 degrees outside with flowers in bloom everywhere... wish I was able to pop a hive in my suitcase! :nature-smiley-011:

Spring is here but winter is hanging around

Spring is trying hard to get going here, but winter is clinging on with all her might. It is forecast to be just 10 today and down to 0 tonight and tomorrow night with a widespread frost. Light snow down to middle altitude levels.
I'm off to spend the day in the container where I can work without layers of clothing..........

Best regards
Norton

Not seen 1 bee flying yet:( here in London
Should I be worried?

Went out to mine today at about 15:50.

2 were flying a lot 1 had a single bee come out after watching it for about 20mins so I'm a bit concerned about that one.

I would be a bit concerned (sorry)

I'll probably open them up on the next fairly warm day and try a bit of feed and check if they are ok (but not take frames out)

Did the oxalic early Jan and they were all fine.

Hope this helps.

Not seen 1 bee flying yet:( here in London
Should I be worried?

Can you see any around the crownboard holes if you take the roof off,you should get one or two come to the holes to see what you are upto if the temp is 7-8c plus as they will break cluster.

Failing that give the hive a gentle tap and listen out for them.

Have you given them any fondant?

Had a quick peep 2 weeks ago and still a super full of stores and a few bees on it. Did not open brood but looked from the top like there was a cluster.:confused:
dead bees seem to be being cleared out etc

mine are out this week in North london if its not raining, a few even collecting pollen from Heather and Mahonia in my front garden...normally they never forage near the hive

Can you see any around the crownboard holes if you take the roof off,you should get one or two come to the holes to see what you are upto if the temp is 7-8c plus as they will break cluster.

Failing that give the hive a gentle tap and listen out for them.

Have you given them any fondant?

Not fed fondant as there was a super of stores.
will have a quick peek tomorrow if not raining or too cold, been wary of interfering too much as a new beek etc.

We have had Bees out flying today.
Some bringing home white coloured pollen :)

Bees out en-masse in Wigan today, hives still heft heavy :).
No pollen coming in:(.
No faeces splatter on landing boards or up hive fronts :) always used to be a good sign of colonies being nosema free ! however ,with the advent of nosema cerana not such a good indicator anymore :svengo:.

John Wilkinson

Not seen 1 bee flying yet here in London
Should I be worried?

Just depends on when and how often.

Without opening the hive again, which may just stress them more, why not pop in a suitable sheet, under the frames, and wait a day or three. Check sheet for cell cappings and varroa drop at the same time.

Regards, RAB

mine were out in force today and like steve1958 they were coming back with an off white coloured pollen:):)

The girls from one of my hives came out to play for a couple of hours today. Dont think they went far and no sign of any pollen coming in. Very few bees out and about from the other 2 hives. Looking good though for this year. :) No randy frogs yet!

I was worried about one of mine. checked them today and they are looking good.

They were a bit light, one was very light so Im trying the "Michael Bush" method of feeding them dry sugar on a few sheets of news paper then sprayed with a bit of water with a supper box over the top.

They looked like they were taking it down as i was pouring it on :)

They were bringing in pollen too.

Latest posts

Back