Spring is coming

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixFooter

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Frogs were a-courting today in the garden pond. Spring is coming!:)

3-4'c, freezing cold, damp, drizzle, yeh its Spring time :(

Frogs were a-courting today in the garden pond. Spring is coming!:)

We had to empty our pond (1000 gallons) the other day because the ice had made a hole in the liner, transferred everything in to a 1000 litre pre form we keep for emergencies, we had 28 fish and 84 frogs, about 1/3 were mating pairs, so spring must be around the corner (fingers crossed)

Frogs all over my small pond on the allotment today, no bees flying but i saw a couple of wasp's :confused:, doesn't bode well.

wasps? shoot, i would imagine they took a big hit this winter, along with bumble bees mind.

jezd,

i would imagine they took a big hit this winter

A cold winter will harm them no more, and probably a lot less, than a well provisioned bee colony.

I am just surprised that it is warm enough for them to be out of hibernation yet. They are still tucked up tight in their winter quarters around here, as are the bumbles. Not seen any yet and don't expect them to emerge from hibernation until the weather improves by a few degrees yet. Bees flying in the sunshine, but still not warm by any stroke of the imagination. I reckon people are measuring the temperature out in the sun, not the shade temperatures - or I am living in a cold pocket of the UK!

Regards, RAB

Spring ?

Don't make me laugh

Temp here last night -7, locally -10.5 in a frost pocket up the road. Ok, it might be 8 deg during the day but Spring won't be Sprung until nigh temps remain in the low 5-10 deg for a while - and no sign this week anyway !

Brrrr. from a chilly North Wiltshire !

S

MT8_Manchester_ens.png

March looks cold.

http://www.wzkarten3.de/pics/MT8_Manchester_ens.png

I saw two Queen bumbles out yesterday while I was watching my bees on the snowdrops.

Darren.

Saw my first queen bumble bee at the end of last week.

The Snow Drops have just about come to an end here, I'm not too sure what they are working now, they seem more concerned with getting water.

Latest posts

Back