Spring Convention 2015

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tremyfro

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Beehaus
Number of Hives
Possibly...5 and a bit...depends on the bees.
Wow ....is an understatement.....we could only visit on Friday as Wembley calls the OH!
Wall to wall Bee Stuff. We collected our poly nucs and wax, talked to loads of people. Looked at lots of ideas. Bought a couple of books. Learnt all about the Zest Hive....very interesting conversation. Saw some display beehives....very well thought out, great for education. Spent ages at the microscope tables. Wished I had one of the ones on display...but might resurrect my little microscope now.....OH was interested in the photography side of it.
Everyone was very jolly and upbeat......fell into a chair with a cuppa before heading back home.
And that only covered the Trade Hall. I wished we had longer and could have booked some sessions....next year...now we know what to expect....we will be pouring over the schedules and booking our places in practicals and lectures.

we could only visit on Friday.

Its too far out of the way for me now. Stoneleigh was quite easy to get to but the journey is too far now. I went once and stayed in Shrewbury for the weekend but it all adds to the cost (accommodation, etc). Its a nice venue though so, I suppose, if you live over that side of the country, its fine.

It was certainly a long journey...3 hours....but well worth it. I think you are right though...a night stop would be better. As we don't llive near any of the bigger bee equipment shops...it was a treat.

The journey up to Harper Adams was a nightmare, although we spent the night before in Ironbridge at The Malthouse, highly recommend it too.

Found the whole day a bit underwhelming really, the whole trip costing a few hundred quid. So on reflection I won't be bothering again if it stays at that venue so far north. Unless there is some "Must See" lecture.

Came back last night via the M6 Toll road, a much more pleasant experience and shaved an hour off the journey.

The new (a couple of years ago) Friday opening of the sales 'tent' didn't seem to be generating a lot of business. I left at 7pm last night having popped in a couple of times in the afternoon. Nothing like the scrums that used to occur at Stoneleigh … I guess the combination of online advance ordering and BeeTradex is responsible. Interested to hear if the 'public' Saturday is busier.

So on reflection I won't be bothering again if it stays at that venue so far north. Unless there is some "Must See" lecture.

Those are my thoughts exactly. It makes you wonder what the BBKA were thinking when they moved it so far west. Its not accessible at all. If it costs a couple of hundred pounds just to attend the event, I expect the traders will not sell as much either.

Found the whole day a bit underwhelming really, the whole trip costing a few hundred quid. So on reflection I won't be bothering again if it stays at that venue so far north. Unless there is some "Must See" lecture.

I don't think you could describe this location as 'so far north'!

I think they need to move the venue around the country each year. I think the lectures are great, but the trade bit was very poor. Beetradex has it beat by a long way.

Its too far out of the way for me now. Stoneleigh was quite easy to get to but the journey is too far now. I went once and stayed in Shrewbury for the weekend but it all adds to the cost (accommodation, etc). Its a nice venue though so, I suppose, if you live over that side of the country, its fine.

i love the lectures at the event and was going this year for the microscope lectures but they were over three days ,so i needed to stay thursday, friday and saturday nightd and the cost was £75 for the lectures , £143 for ex student accomdation, £50 for 40ltre of diesel for the 300ml round trip and spending money for food say £75 but as money is a bit short this year SHMBO vetoed me spending £350 on a long weekend jolly unless she came :(

I won't be bothering again if it stays at that venue so far north. Unless there is some "Must See" lecture.

Those are my thoughts exactly. It makes you wonder what the BBKA were thinking when they moved it so far west. Its not accessible at all.

Usual story really - if it's not near london then it shouldn't happen - blow anyone else unless they live in the south East.

For a change, we from this end of the country can attend and as for being too far North or West. They call it The Midlands for a reason.
Only gripe I have is that mobile reception isn't that good there

Interested to hear if the 'public' Saturday is busier.

well I arrived a little after 0800 and there were droves leaving the trade hall laden with boxes and pushing trolleys - lot of stuff pre-order now so that does ease the maul a bit. seemed to be a lot of stuff shifted - on Friday as well looking and the gaps on some of the shelves.

Usual story really - if it's not near london then it shouldn't happen - blow anyone else unless they live in the south East.

For a change, we from this end of the country can attend and as for being too far North or West. They call it The Midlands for a reason.
Only gripe I have is that mobile reception isn't that good there.

:iagree:

Well, I had a great time.

My third time of attendance - and for me the principal reason for going has changed. Previously I was out for bargains in the trade exhibition - but now that I have most of the gear I need, and can pre-order routine stuff online, that's less of a priority.

Now I'm more interested in the educational value of the event. And although I had some reservations about presentations, on the whole I learned a great deal. Not to mention spending quality time with other experienced beeks.

As for the cost, it's bollocks to say it's expensive. £18 for a whole weekend of events, £49 for b&b on site, £25 for a 3 course Dinner. Ok, finding that total sum might be difficult for some - but it's low cost per item. I bet Stoneleigh would be more expensive - and I spoke to quite a few who said Stoneleigh was far inferior to Harper Adams.

Yes, the Trade Exhibition was not as frantic as previously - but its spread over a much greater time now. People were still carting huge piles of gear to their cars. But I do think it has more of a feel of a professional conference than an Ideal Homes Exhibition. I welcome that.

Oh and it's not in the far north. It's the Midlands. This reluctance by so many to travel outside the M25, is often matched by a blindness to the travel demands on those expected to travel to London for everything. As if it were an honour for country cousins to travel to the Big City. For heavens sake!

Not perfect - but a good weekend. Lots to do, a complex programme pretty well executed - and an opportunity to wallow in beekeeping with like-minded people. And if I spent too much - well, it's a sort of self-inflicted injury!

I'd like to hear the views of others who were there.

Dusty.

Last minute decision to go. 1 hour 15 mins drive.
Got some cheaper than normal stuff and had a great day.
Far better than going all the way down to the honey show.
Next time I'm going to book some workshops and lectures if its near enough and have the friday off work.

Why should everything be near london ?
Thats one city in the country and not a nice one either.
Another 20 years and it will be underwater problem solved.
London may be our crapitol but it's not the centre of England.

First time of going to a convention and really enjoyed it,got there midday and was still busy but was able to have a good look around. Picked up more bargains than i really should have while bumping into like minded friendly beeks :0). Looking forward to the next one ,if in the same venue.bee-smilliebee-smillie

Hear hear Hear!!!!!!
Couldn't make it this year but will be there next.

This reluctance by so many to travel outside the M25, is often matched by a blindness to the travel demands on those expected to travel to London for everything.

Far from it, I hate travelling into London. I just said the present Location is too far west for me. It was a terrible journey.

I went 2 years ago and took my family. We stayed in Shrewsbury so it may have been a bit more expensive than the figures quoted. The M6 was at a complete standstill so they just opened the toll booths and let everyone through. It was a horrendous journey. I only went for the lectures too.

From what I am hearing, perhaps the Spring Convention is becoming more of an educational/meeting event and BeeTradex taking over as a trading event.

I think the idea of moving it around the country is a good idea but perhaps not every year.

As for the cost, it's bollocks to say it's expensive. £18 for a whole weekend of events, £49 for b&b on site, £25 for a 3 course Dinner. Ok, finding that total sum might be difficult for some - but it's low cost per item. I bet Stoneleigh would be more expensive
:iagree:
I got organised this year - booked an Hotel nice and early - cost no more than the accommodation at HA and only five minutes drive away (apart from the first time I ever depended on an electronic device to guide me there - my new haemorhoid phone took me the scenic route!) and a slap up indian with a drink came to twenty quid.
Try getting that kind of deal any further South and East of the country

Oh and it's not in the far north. It's the Midlands. This reluctance by so many to travel outside the M25, is often matched by a blindness to the travel demands on those expected to travel to London for everything. As if it were an honour for country cousins to travel to the Big City. For heavens sake!
:iagree::iagree:

and I spoke to quite a few who said Stoneleigh was far inferior to Harper Adams.
:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I just said the present Location is too far west for me. It was a terrible journey.
......... The M6 was at a complete standstill so they just opened the toll booths and let everyone through. It was a horrendous journey.

Having had to regularly in the past needed to travel East, I can sympathise, but that's the thing - some people seem to think its perfectly acceptable for us in the North and West to do it, but nothing should happen outside their little south Eastern bubble.

Having had to regularly in the past needed to travel East, I can sympathise, but that's the thing - some people seem to think its perfectly acceptable for us in the North and West to do it, but nothing should happen outside their little south Eastern bubble.

Stoneleigh wasn't exactly in the south-east but it was much more accessible than HA. The main north-south motorway is the M1 (not the M6). I grew up in Newcastle so I understand your comments about lots of things only happening in / around London. I just think Shrewsbury is not central. Somewhere between loughborough and sheffield would be more central and there are good universities there with plenty of space and facilities.

Anyway, this is getting off the point. The original post was about the 2015 conference. Lets get back to that. Did I miss any good lectures?

Last edited:
The original post was about the 2015 conference. Lets get back to that. Did I miss any good lectures?

Both the SHB ones were worth listening to - I enjoyed the one on beekeeping in Vietnam - went to the small scale queen rearing one - good, but he let his powerpoint auto page turn dictate to him which meant he often had a few sentences to go but he skipped them to keep up, which is a shame as there was plenty of time left at the end.
Did the mini nuc maintenance workshop which was fun, had to laugh when Glynn Davies made a comment about the AMM Taliban :D
Few lectures which I didn't get time to attend but had good feedback such as the Keith Delaplane super organism ones (had to scrap the Friday morning ones as I didn't get back from Poland until 0100 and needed some sleep! and I would have attended the 'bees surviving varroa without control' lecture for a laugh seeing as the deliverer was an all round good egg but spent too long chatting to the Bees Abroad people (have to keep my options open as to future projects) and missed it!!

Both the SHB ones were worth listening to - I enjoyed the one on beekeeping in Vietnam - went to the small scale queen rearing one - good, but he let his powerpoint auto page turn dictate to him which meant he often had a few sentences to go but he skipped them to keep up, which is a shame as there was plenty of time left at the end.
Did the mini nuc maintenance workshop which was fun, had to laugh when Glynn Davies made a comment about the AMM Taliban :D
Few lectures which I didn't get time to attend but had good feedback such as the Keith Delaplane super organism ones (had to scrap the Friday morning ones as I didn't get back from Poland until 0100 and needed some sleep! and I would have attended the 'bees surviving varroa without control' lecture for a laugh seeing as the deliverer was an all round good egg but spent too long chatting to the Bees Abroad people (have to keep my options open as to future projects) and missed it!!
Have you seen the Jamie Ellis presentation on YouTube (National Honey Show)? He didn't seem to think it was such a big deal...yet I was beside myself when I was counting varroa and I saw what looked like a SHB larva crawling across the sticky board (3 pairs of legs...what looked like horns at the posterior end).....then I remembered I was looking down a microscope at 20* magnification! :icon_204-2: I'm not sure what it was but it was transparent, not like a waxmoth larva. I wish I had more time to do more microscopy...there is so much more crawling around on the bottom of a beehive than most people ever see.
I've seen Keith Delaplane talk on this subject a long time ago. I'm not sure that I followed his point at the time. I think you have to be ready to receive the message sometimes....and if you aren't ready to hear it (perhaps because of educational background or whatever reason) the message is lost. Yet, if you hear the same thing after studying some more, the penny drops and you see things in a new light. Does this make sense? Thats how I feel anyway.

Latest posts

Back